what to look for..?

i've got a golf vr thats just been wrote off, thinking about a corrado, but i've heard so many things about 'box problems and leaking sunroofs, can anybody shed any light on what to look for when buying one?

also, reliability, the golf has been excellent the 3 years i've had it, how do the corrado's compare?

cheers fella's =)

never heard of any box problems on corrado's, and leaking sunroofs?? never heard of that one either. i think someones been telling you porkies mate.

and as for reliability, i have had no major problems with mine, but they are not new cars so be ready to dive into the wallet, get onto the corrado forum as theres some bloody nice ones for sale on there at the moment.

karl (corrado owner for the last 7 years)

cheers karl

sounds like an urban myth then so to speak? its not a 6 pot tho, i cant afford one as they are going for a lot more than the insurance paid out (and i'm a very mature student at the mo with a mortgage and that!) which is a shame, as i'm addicted to the noise that comes from under the bonnet

Hi Mark I have just gone from a Golf vr6 to a corrado and I love it, my sunroof leaked when I got it but I have changed the sunroof seal and its fine now, there is a guide on the corrado forum which is a massive help, www.the-corrado.net get that guide and you will be sorted.

Yep i second that, i iwas looking for a raddo for ages, theres a great guide on the corrado forum, helped turn me away from a few dogs..... also there is a lot of cars for sale on there.... also check piston heads. The main problem with the sunroofs is that the motors go on them

also the heater matrix tends to go so feel the floor mats to make sure they arent damp.

I found the build quality on some i looked at wasnt the best so have a good prod at everything and make sure its not held on by bubble gum.... lol

Oh yeah and the fans sometimes get stuck on one setting, this is like 200 quid to replace so watch out for that..... Good luck with your search!!!

been and had a look at a 16v today, was well impressed with the drive and handling, interior is a bit mk2 golfish. and it needs aquavaccing. other to that it looks a pretty good car.

my position at the minute is putting me off getting it, and ploughing the insurance money into getting the golf fixed instead.

• 2 years later...

Usual things on corrado to check;

Sunroof tilts and slides

active spoiler operates off the switch

door handles operate without resistance

sunroof seal

heater matrix

usual VR6 stuff, chains, head gasket

bonnet cable

central locking

electric windows

aux water pump should operate on ignition

if late corrado, check heater controls are in working order, and no resistance on the dials.

check all 4 heater motor speeds

it was pants. absolute money pit. had it 2 days and the back box fell off = £125, after 1 week it needed 2 rear wheel bearings, then it started to not want to start after being warm, then not at all. turned out to be 4 bolts missing from the inlet manifold and 2 garages didnt spot it! i did! then to top it all.....the night before i sold it, both door handles broke! had to climb through the boot and my mate thought it was funny lol wish my golf never died :(