does sound like a dodgy battery. When you tried starting does the rev counter move?

It's normally because the battery hasn't got the power to charge the solenoid and spin the motor.

How long has it been on axle stands/not running etc? Mine was parked on drive for about 2 weeks and wouldn't start. Charged it fully, went flat within a couple of days. Fully charged it and started to drive it everyday and it's never been a problem

can you get another car/battery to try with jump leads of just swap battery temporarily?

Yeah, I may try the battery from my m3 and give it a go with that.. Really can't see a problem with the starter, removed the sloenoid and it all appears fine but im not expert.

Not sure about the rev counter tbh

Can I try hooking up my battery charger while the battery is in the car and all joined up?

Silly question but I'll ask it anyway Mark. Did you give both connectors on the starter a live when you checked it? Main live and the smaller solenoid connector? i'm guessing yes if you had it connected to the car when you checked before but I've checked in the past and forgot to bridge the lives which only threw the solenoid in and out. just a thought mate. I'll have a word with Pat and see if he's got a starter