how do you drive in the snow?

just wondering. its pretty much impossible to drive in 1st. i try and move up to 2nd/3rd and 4th quickly as possible so there no much power low down the rev range. then use engine braking combined with gentle braking to slow down. is this the method everybody uses?

cuz my mate seems to think driving in 1st and 2nd gear all the way to drive in the snow.

any thoughts?

Slowly!

Moving off in second is usually safest. Stay in as high a gear as possible for as long as possible so lots of second and third. Avoid braking late by lifting off the gas and changing down to use the engine to help you slow down. Most importantly, look and plan well ahead. If it looks like a wet patch on the road it's probably black ice so.

I drove back from North London last night as the snow was coming down and there were some real idiots still doing 50+ on the north circular even when parts of it were closed due to accidents. Scary

i genearlly keep it in 2nd and 3rd using 1st only to slow me down what pisses me off the most is the 4x4's who flash there lights expecting you to move outta the way! Congratualations soccer mom your 3 days off the year there your not the slowest things on the road has come! Im having a bad enough time doing 20mph on my stupid stretched tires to think about moving over!!!

My ABS had a god damn fit lastnight!! It sucks balls in the snow. Locked up, pedal to the floor out of utter fear, with it feeling like a brass band under my pedal, and still sliding downhill towards a T junction........ with a red light.

Captain Brown-Pants?? Indeedy

I speak from a point of knowedge. I learnt to drive sideways before forwards. I was born in the middle of knowhere with access to farms and a rally driving father.

Lowering tyre pressure is a really bad idea in the UK on the road. it has its place elsewhere.

The only way to grip is very narrow tyres as the point of pressure is concentrated and thus you get to grip penetrating through the top layers.

Don't forget the deeper snow can offer more grip than the stuff people have been sliding on all day. so off the "tram lines" CAN be a good idea. But use the cars feel on this one.... Deeper also very good for slowing the car down!

As with all these things. Super smooth motions on absolutely everything, clutch & throttle control are king. you can use 1st just take a week over it. (sorry here is the engineer in me....) it is all about that first moment of stiction that exists in front of the tyres. If you can do it slow enough you can in effect start in any gear. once you spin it becomes a challenge as you have heated the snow and its properties change this making it less well sticky... and of course you then have a different kinda snow in the tread so it is like driving on slicks... this is why you go for 2nd, 3rd etc as it makes the response slower.

use the engine breaking to slow down. blip and match the revs to speed. that way you dont force a lock up. if they do lock, dont be afraid to accelerate a little (and i do mean a little) first to stop the lock up and then back off everything again.

if you are all locked up then it is into old fashioned modes. a bit like on a bike. dont focus on the impact focus on the escape route. leave the abs to do its bit unless the car is accelerating. old fashioned cadence breaking can work and if you have enough room feet off everything and induce an oversteer. it is easier to drag round on the throttle. you will be surprised when the car grips. but this is not a first attack principle as that will just make a mess of your impact :)

Option b - town and country or snow tyres with chains. then you should wheel spin just for the sparks..... :D

i hope it helps or promotes discussion as it has been a few years since I was taught...

Just stuck my snow chains on as the missus had the Toureg! Well I say chains Ive got snow socks, easier to get on! Id recommend investing in some, £50ish and if we get more of this at least youre prepaired! Anyway it was quite funny looking at the faces of other drivers as I went straight up Beacon Hill Road in Fleet with no problems!!

Drive down to the alps a lot so am used to driving on snow! Just keep it slow and steady!! Use the right pedal to judge grip not the middle one and keep your distance! I went down a hill with someone two inches from my rear bumper, sorry but I have to admit some bad language was shouted!! :0)