overheating/coolant problem

For some reason my engine is overheating badly ,Im filling the coolant bottle up and its just being absorbed... The bottom left temp light on the dash is flicking on and off ...there are no leaks coolant is not dripping out anywhere what is this

here are a couple of likely culpits. It could be a faulty cap on the coolant bottle but you would usually see signs of the water leaking under the car as it runs down the back of the bottle. Check for damp inside of the car particularly in the passenger side footwell (r/hand drive) as a possible sign of a leaking heater matrix. Have you noticed water in the oil/oil in the water or a creamy mayo on the inside of the oil cap? that would point towards head gasket. Also are the fans kicking in and are both top and bottom hoses the same temp when at running temp? If not then it could be thermostat or even a blocked radiator.

Kevin

• 2 months later...

For some reason my engine is overheating badly ' date='Im filling the coolant bottle up and its just being absorbed... The bottom left temp light on the dash is flicking on and off ...there are no leaks coolant is not dripping out anywhere what is this

[/quote']

"absorbed" sounds sinister ;) If it is large volumes (1litre or more) it has to be going somewhere...

I'd guess it's either coming out on the road, into the foot well via the heater matrix, or worst case scenario; into the oil via the head gasket. The previous poster has detailed the symptoms to look for.. :)

Recent experience of my new Corrado leads me to suggest you should run the coolant up to 100 degrees ish and then feel if the radiator is actually getting warm. If it isn't you probably have a fault thermostat, meaning the coolant circuit is not opening up to include the radiator. Hence, coolant gets hot quick but can't maintain the ideal temp, so it just keeps going up and up and up...

A new thermostat is circa £7 from GSF, plus a seal for £2ish. Corrados have a plastic thermostat housing which will almost certainly need replacing on a 15yo car, circa £40. Buy a genuine thermostat housing if you end up replacing it, the GSF ones are rubbish and leaky. I also replaced a couple of sensors from £7 each while in the thermostat housing, just to be on the safe side..

..first things first, see if your rad gets hot at circa 100 degrees. Mine wasn't doing and I was loosing coolant, as you describe.

• 3 months later...

Had the same prob man, i changed everything you can imagine trying to find the fault! Does you car cut out on you? Have you got any coolant or white liquid near thermastat houseing or coil pack? I gave up in the end and stripped it, found my rad had slight hole in top right corner behind air con rad which when under pressure woluld blow out through cooling fans on to block and coil pack. Check it out i hope it isnt your rad because its a bitch of a job, good luck