VR6 or Keep my Mint mk2 16V

Hi,

I cannot make up my mind whether to keep my mint mk2 golf 16 (92, J plate) or upgrade to a late VR6 Golf Highline.

I know most of the comments will be biased as this ia a VR forum but I need some help

Things that make me want to keep the 16v are

- it is a classic

- it will not depreciate much

- reasonable running cost (esp fuel)

- fun to drive (156bhp)

however the VR interests me because

- refinement

- mod cons- heated seats, air con etc,

- more grown up image

Please Help

No competition mate (IMO), I have just changed my 90 GTI for a 97 VR6 and I'm well pleased that I did (cept for the fuel consumption which I expect to drop once I get used to the car)

Actually I still have the GTI but will probably sell it shortly.

Do it, do it, do it. :)

Tom

I`ve recently gone down this route for the second time. If I had more drive space and an understanding missus I would have kept both. I love the 16v MK2 its a really fun car. Both of mine were low mileage standard cars with full vag history and went like a dream. But I suppose the quest for more refinement and 6 pot power got the best of me. The 2 cars are chalk and cheese really but both top fun in they`re own right. What I would say is dont let your valver go until you find a really good highline, take your time and wait for the right one. You will love the VR6 growl and the effortless ease in which the power comes on, the refinement and smoothness over the 16v is great, but you will miss the raw GTi experience from the daddy of all GTi`s. But when you get out on the open road and feel the V6 pulling like a train the grin on your face will be enough to remember the 16v with fondness, but realise you`ve moved on and up to a better place !! Good Hunting Dude. TopsVR6.

PS: It wont stop that sinking feeling when your MK2 finally goes to a new home, but you`ll get over it lol!! 8)

I've had my 1994 VR6 for almost 4 years now and can't recommend it highly enough!

The engine has the same "unburstable" feeling of a mk2 16v, but with shed loads more torque and a better soundtrack!

Be sure to budget for some uprated suspension, as the standard setup will feel a bit stodgy compared to a Mk2 16v.

[ Edited Fri Oct 22 2004, 12:35AM ]

Look in the local paper, etc, and see if you can see any local VR6s up for sale and give one a test drive, I guarantee that'll make your mind up, I just made the same transition at the start of the week, but i've not had the heart to stick my valver up for sale even though i'm not even insured to drive it anymore.

I used to own a 16v. Nice and simple to maintain yourself. Where as my vr6 is a PIG to maintain myself becuase of all the electronics. Its well worth it thought, the sound, the power, the expandability, the mod cons. Go for a highline and you'll forgot your 16v...i forgot mine very quickly, just something about heated seats on a cold october morning :), always starts easily...

lovely car you own, the vr6 is a bit more mature, decide for yourselve if your ready to drive it.

I'd try and keep both I know I certainly wouldn't be without a mkII I love them to bits but saying that the grin factor you get driving a VR6 well all I can say is its superb :P.

Yes the mkII is great fun but if your looking for a bit more luxury and refinment then go for a vr6 and maybe get a cheap and cheerful mkII (plenty about nowadays) just for when you want a little play ;-)

• 4 years later...

Well over 4 years later & I have finally made the switch!.

Was not really looking for a VR anymore but this one came up & something said go get it which I did,

Still got the 16v for now but will look to sell it in a few months time.

Been out in both this morning & the VR is in a diifferent league despite the 16v being just under 180BHP. Wanted to get straight back into the VR after taking the 16v for a spin.

Zak

It's a Black 97 3dr Highline (real one!)

Schrick Mani,

Schrick 268 Cams

Supersprint Exhaust

Eibach Suspension Kit

17" BBS Alloys

& some other comestic mods

will hopefully soon have

HID Lights

TT 312 Brakes

& some new tryes as the Toyo's on the front are seriously worn. Will more than likley take the Goodyear F1's off my 16v & put them on the VR

It's got a 2L ABF in there at the moment which I put in around 3 years ago so would not want to spend the money to take that out & put a VR in.

Think I have had my time with MK2's after 6 years & 12 years of having a MK1.

The wife has been on at me for ages to get a newer smoother car & the VR just about meets her approval.

Ideally it will be a MK5 GTI very soon with me keeping the VR as my fun car.

Well over 4 years later & I have finally made the switch!.

Was not really looking for a VR anymore but this one came up & something said go get it which I did' date='

Still got the 16v for now but will look to sell it in a few months time.

Been out in both this morning & the VR is in a diifferent league despite the 16v being just under 180BHP. Wanted to get straight back into the VR after taking the 16v for a spin.

Zak

[/quote']

blimey 2004 thread!

thats interestin you say its in a diff league even with simlar power, cus alot of 16v mk3 owners seem to think a few cheap mods and tehy can keep up with a vr, but they still dont have teh torque....or sound