hi

my vr6 has 120k on the clock and has started to loose water, everyday the bottle keeps going down. If i leave it for a week it will go near empty. No over heating no high temp. temp is mostly at 94-98 when fully warm and i have been driving it hard.

on short journeys i get the mayo on the oil lid but on long journeys and when driving it hard it does not have any mayo. the oil is cheap stuff which the garage i got it serviced from put in.

is the head gasket gone, what other signs can tell if its gone, dont have any wter puddle on floor overnight.

thanks

rite the sniff test is also know as a block test just checks if u got exhaust gasses goin into the coolin system ... possible headgasket. and the pressure test u want is the one for the cooling system . u put the coolin system under pressure and check for small or big leaks ....

• 1 month later...

the car is loosing water more quickly now, I filled up the expasion bottle to full and started the car. There was no bubles or water shooting out. The water was very slowly being pushed out of the expansion bottle. There was not that much smoke comming from the exhaust, was a little but could have been due to the cold waether.

i have taken some pics, the oil cap got some mayo on it but this may have been because the car was stood for a few days and started from cold. When i drive it a few miles the mayo clears up

any ideas if it is the head gasket or not? car drives fine pulls hard and no overheating.

09122008072.jpg

09122008071.jpg

09122008070.jpg

thanks

Have a good look at your hoses, might have a perished one somewhere?

Had a bit of trouble with my coolant system in the past, turned out to be water pump issues. Cheap ones don't last too long. ALSO, if your oil temp starts to go up easily you might wanna check the 2 hoses going into your oil cooler unit at the front, right at the bottom. Water will just leak through without getting to the important stuff to cool it down.

Are you getting any back pressure in the header tank?? Mine had water issues water dissapearing couldnt find any leaks, and normal temps, after £90, vw to find the problem it was the little rubber seal on the header tank lid, £4.95. but it did cure it.

A few places to check that i have had leaks from in the past:

Thermostat housing seal where it meets the head - if the engines hot it will dry pretty quickly so you wont have a puddle.

Thermostat housing seal - these leak, worth putting a new housing on as they always seem to warp and just replacing the seal usually only a tempory fix.

temp senders, check seals here.

Check rad and hoses for leaks around temp sender, top hose union.

the two ally tubes that the pipse go which stick up off the oil cooler, they go porous where they meet the body of the housing.

hope this helps!!

I was gettin water coming from the over flow on the header tank , but you couldnt see it because of the black cover, and it wasnt a new cap just the seal, but had new cap part no.G012A8FM1, Its worth a check it drove me mad trying to find it so i know how you feel, process of illimination, but that can work out pretty dear,migth be worth biting the bullet and going to VW, total cost on mine £90.99. inc vat, but could have been worse if i'd gone down the route of stats, seals ,hoses etc, just a thought. good luck and dont let it drive u insane .lol