semi or full synthetic oil

I used the VW quantum 10/40W to run mine in, then immediately switched to Silkolene Pro S 10W/50 full synth at 2500 miles.

If you're running forged pistons, I would recommend the 10W/50 silkolene or Castrol Edge Sport 10W/60. Both excellent oils for high tolerance bore clearances and high rpms.

If you're using cast pistons, then Silkolene 5/40 is what I'd go with. They're tighter in the bores.

Forged's use more oil, something to be aware of.

Having said that, my Wossner block + Schimmel head uses barely anything for such high performance, roughly the same as a very healthy stock VR.

My old JE pistoned block used loads more oil. Much looser in the bores you see.

Thanks Guys the feed back has been well appreciated.

Yes i've had forged pistons dropped in with the rebuild. My actual rebuild is similar to yours minus the turbo as im going rotrex.

I wanted to make sure i put the right oil in a rebuilt engine.

Thanks

I've been using Silkolene Pro S 15w-50.

VW specify 10w-40 as a typical oil for the vr. The 40 bit is the operating temperature viscosity which is the important bit. 5w-40 will actually give you a healthier cold engine than 10w-40.

Fully synth oils being thinner is a bit of a myth. Within the same grade they are by definition the same viscosity. Remember even 0w oil at room temperature is still vastly thicker than 40 grade oil at engine operating temperature. A decent oil will give the lowest possible w grade whilst maintaining the target main grade.

"Fully synth" also doesn't make it better than a good semi also. There are some really cheap and nasty fully synth oils about.

slight thread hijack kev but what oils would you recomend to run in an r32 engine rebuilt with wossner low comp pistons and what oil should i use therafter itl be around 400 lb ft and 480-490 hp with 7350 rev limit

VW use that expensive Castrol SLX 5/30W in MK5 R32s, even for running in. Might be a bit thin for your application with forged pistons though. I'd perhaps try Silkolene Pro S 5/40W and see what oil consumption is like. Run a thicker oil if it drinks a lot :-)

You should find the oil consumption reduces with mileage.

Silkolene or Castrol Edge, you can't go wrong. Both are Ester based, which is currently the best synthetic base.