So what turbo's are you running?

i'm after alittle help with selection really. i have read the specs of different turbos on different sites and im not sure if im any the wiser really!

i'm after around 300-350ish hp, for an OBD2 3ltr low comp, fast road car that gets used as a weekend toy so not a daily, just want a smooth progressive surge (if thats possible!) not nothing, nothing, nothing BANG! top end. i appreciate other factors such as management, and other bits of kit will effect it.

dont want to spend a load of ££ on the wrong thing!

Any recommendations for a turbo spec for the above?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see where you are coming from and have looked at this option but for that kind of power i worked it out to be more costly in the long run. A correctly matched turbo can give a good smooth power delivery, (a mates s2 was awesome, fast but driveable) i still want some rush when it kicks in, just dont want it like to be like an 80's turbo set up!

Plus, i just love the way a turbo'ed vr sounds!

It appears to drive fine mate, although i have not give it any beans yet as its only just back on the road so gently running it in. i was also curious about this when i done mine!

I'm curious to see how it goes if i was to plant it to the red line though....suppose it would just feel a little flat??

yeh ive heard it will be under powered. i will be running mine in gently too ive been told to drive like im ''driving miss daisy''. it will be hard for me to drive it gently because where i live you have all these little boys in there 1.2's with stupid loud exhuast thinking the have the right to be on the road with a VR.

i hope your search for a turbo kit goes well, but its rotrex all the way for me.

Thanks for imput, it all helps! I think im swaying towards Gt30 size from what i have been reading on here. seems about right for the power i want. Ha! i'm almost bored of looking, just need to find one at a good price then splash the cash!!

Ive got 3 vr engines and i gave one of them to an engineering company in london who build drag cars. The list of mod's on my engine are endless and it shouldnt be long now before it goes back into its shell.when run in ill have to pick your brain in regards to rotrex set ups.

What kinda spec turbo would get you up to 400lbs/ft in the long run but still be good before I can afford pistons etc? Maybe 320/340 lbs/ft before going with a full built bottom end.

Apologies for the thread jacking mate.

Mine?

Not sure as yet. I'm only running 9psi at present... so 300-320 ish at a guess. It's plenty quick :)

I get 9 psi @ 2500rpm. I'm reliably informed that the turbo will comfortably hold a bar pressure up to 6k odd so should make my target 400hp.

Worth noting also about your pistons buying. I'm running stock internals (with ARP bolts) on a head spacer aquired through C2 and currently 100% without issue. People have mixed opinions on spacers but I know of quite a few cars using them without problem running the sort of power we're talking about. I'm certainly glad I haven't shelled out for £1000 worth of pistons :) I'm also using the C2 recode on the stock management which is great for a trouble free easy conversion.