if you dont mind a harsh ride you can get coilovers for under 200 quid but they are quite harsh, i know im on a tight budget and now cant aford to get them changed for decent ones lol, plus you can sit it in the weeds with coilovers, as with fixed platform ones your stuck at set hieghts. personally id say save an extra couple of months and buy some decent coilovers

unless your into trackdays - why go with the coilovers - they are impossible to setup unless you are tidy on suspension setup, each change in height requires a corresponding change to camber/tracking. I was advised by a motorsport racer to use a standard shock with lowered springs. and standard bushes not poly or the ride would be horrid on the road. In the end I went with an sftermarket shock and spring. that was lowered. The result is great good luck.

I just bought a set of boge turbogas shocks (you can get them form eurocarparts) and a set of H&R srpings. When I changed over I was amazed at how bad the old shocks had become (very little damping). Changed them over and I still have a reasonably comfortable practical car that sits 30mm lower (looks good without being slammed) and handles better.

I'm not sure if the better handling is due to lowering springs or the new shocks to be honest. But it is much better.

However, a friend has subsequently told me (and he's experimented a lot with his corrado) that the best handling can be achieved by using original springs but upgrading to adjustable shocks (koni or the like). The advantage is that you have much better control over handling (since it is the shocks that make most of the difference) and you can adjust the ride to suit where you are driving without affecting camber/tracking. Plus, no need to declare to insurance since it is not actually lowered.

Downside? Well, it doesn't look lowered. But that may or may not be an issue for you. You could always try adding lowering top plates to the front springs (these drop the front by 15mm or so and make it look a little less 'sit up and beg').

Personally, I'm kind of thinking the adjustable shocks with standard springs might have been a better path to go down for myself as you get the best mixture of driving pleasure and practicality. Plus, if you buy great shocks, you'll get an immediate improvement and can add new springs later if you still want to go lower.

However' date=' a friend has subsequently told me (and he's experimented a lot with his corrado) that the best handling can be achieved by using original springs but upgrading to [b']adjustable shocks (koni or the like). The advantage is that you have much better control over handling (since it is the shocks that make most of the difference) and you can adjust the ride to suit where you are driving without affecting camber/tracking. Plus, no need to declare to insurance since it is not actually lowered.

I beg to differ on the declaring to insurance company there, as you are upgrading from OEM so thus makes it a modification from original spec

Fair point craggsy! I was just thinking of a question that I was asked last time I renewed my insurance 'has the car been lowered by more than 30mm?' It might be that this particular insurer had a different policy to others.

ip

any change to manufacturers specifications is classed as a 'modification', even if it is just using adjustable shocks, since the vehical never came with these it has been modified from oe spec, besides my coilovers cost 20 quid to declare so why not do it? its cheaper than having a void policy if you smash ya motor without telling them things have been changed.

anyway back to the original question, the simple answer is check the for sale boards, the guys on here are very passionate about their cars and are always changing parts and if you keep your eyes open you could pick up a used set of quality coilovers or fixed height suspension for a fraction of the retail cost, and im sure a local member would even fit them for you for little more than a drink and a smile