Rotrex Supercharged R36 Highline *UPDATED 5/11/8*

This is my latest engine conversion project. I was lucky enough a couple of months ago to get hold of a brand new R36 engine. After my last 2.9 Rotrex supercharged effort it was either an R32 or R36, so when this came up I would have been mad not to take the oppertunity! Thanks goes to Andy and Miles at Storm Developments for an excellent deal and very rare oppertunity.

I have to say the 3.6 with its 24 valve and variable valve timing is in a diferent league to the old 12 valve engines. With 280-300hp out of the box it was the obvious choice.

As some of you may know the 3.6 is an FSI engine which does cause I small problem. The FSI injectors would not flow enough fuel for what I had planned so the only way was to run a regular injection setup. The throttle is also drive by wire so a cable throttlebody setup is needed. To enable me to run standard type injectors I had to fabricate a new inlet manifold as there was not one available off the shelf!

None of what I am planning is new the guys at Storm have had their 3.6s running for ages, I just like doing things my way! One is normally aspirated running the FSI setup mapped up to 340hp and 300 lb/ft! The other is charged with unknown figures and awaiting a new inlet manifold set up.

The engine is actually out of a Q7 or Toureg and had a very deep sump that would have sat on the ground! First job was to buy and new Passat jobbie with a new strainer. Even the sump is a work of art, I have never seen one so baffled and with a crank scrapper too!

In the second photo I am just checking the auxillary drive pulley bolt. Some of you might have read about the bolt failing and detroying the engine! This was only on the early engines though, fortunately the one I have is a much later engine with the correct strength bolt.

The pump on the front of the head in the third photo is the cam driven FSI pump. There is also a vacuum pump on the side of the head which you can just see.

Inlet ports on these engines are huge!

The last four photos are of the engine bolted up to the box just before it was dropped in. It is an 02A but it is not as simple as bolting it straight on!

More updates to follow.

Alex

1219396736_2749_FT0_r36_sumpless_.jpg

1219396736_2749_FT0_r36_the_dreaded_bolt_.jpg

1219396736_2749_FT0_r36_pump_.jpg

1219396736_2749_FT0_r36_inlet_port_.jpg

1219396736_2749_FT0_r36_rear_bank_inlet_port_.jpg

1219396736_2749_FT0_r36_engine_1_.jpg

1219396736_2749_FT0_r36_engine_2_.jpg

1219396736_2749_FT0_r36_engine_3_.jpg

1219396736_2749_FT0_r36_engine_4_.jpg

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha, tbf im not that surprised you've ended up with a 3.6, i kind of expected it from you. Nice fab work on the inlet btw,, Looks a little small tho? Isn't the capacity inside the tube bit ment to be equal to the capacity of the engine or something like that?

Anyway to say the least im jealous, Oh is it going to be FI? and what bhp u got planned for it?

Awesome!! I saw the R36 add on Storms site back along and considered buying one and just leaving it in the garage on a stand and turboing it as a winter( or even 12 months or more haha) project as I could afford the parts, but thought better of it as I quite fancy a new car

Cant wait to hear this running!!! If you need a driver for the fuel tanker that'll be following you give me a shout :)

haha' date=' tbf im not that surprised you've ended up with a 3.6, i kind of expected it from you. Nice fab work on the inlet btw,, Looks a little small tho? Isn't the capacity inside the tube bit ment to be equal to the capacity of the engine or something like that?

Anyway to say the least im jealous, Oh is it going to be FI? and what bhp u got planned for it?

[/quote']

I did work out the capacity and I think it was about 3800CCs, the size is deceptive though because it is fairly big. The plenum size is much more important for normally aspirated engines, it doesn't matter so much when your force feeding.

Yeah going to be putting a C38-81Rotrex on, which is the largest they make. Will run it at a bar until we are happy with the engine reliabilty and then put a larger crank pulley on. Power wise Im not really bothered so long as its over 500 real horsepower at the fly it will have been worth it. HGPs twin turbo engine makes 640hp with similar boost.

I had my name on one of those puppies..! Have you got the dual stage mapping sorted on it yet..? The boys have had an issue with the mapping switchover on startup or something like that i'm not 100% on the problem, but if thats solved then roll on my other caddy project!

That was the main issue Storm had, and why i went for the '32 in the end, just couldnt wait for the end result! still waiting mind..!

Alex, that vr is going to be awsome, watch this space!

haha' date=' tbf im not that surprised you've ended up with a 3.6, i kind of expected it from you. Nice fab work on the inlet btw,, Looks a little small tho? Isn't the capacity inside the tube bit ment to be equal to the capacity of the engine or something like that?

[/quote']

I did work out the capacity and I think it was about 3800CCs, the size is deceptive though because it is fairly big. The plenum size is much more important for normally aspirated engines, it doesn't matter so much when your force feeding.

Yeah going to be putting a C38-81Rotrex on, which is the largest they make. Will run it at a bar until we are happy with the engine reliabilty and then put a larger crank pulley on. Power wise Im not really bothered so long as its over 500 real horsepower at the fly it will have been worth it. HGPs twin turbo engine makes 640hp with similar boost.

Inlet looks easily big enough now its in the bay lol, I see what you mean about that engine mount. Seems really far over to the right ... Is there another one going at the front on the left hand side? With all that power it looks like theres going to be a lot of strange on them. Them ports are MASSIVE, couldn't p&p them if you tried lol Looks like a brand new engine.

Is it getting build up or left standard internal wise?

The front mount is in the standard position but there is one less mount on the block and I want to retain the 3.6 oil cooler.

Internals are forged as standard, pistons are a work of art! Will get some pics of the internals when I pull the head off in the next couple of weeks. Camshafts are incredible too.