Which gearbox oil for my my VR

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I use the Redline Shockproof heavy weight. I think the additional cushion goes a LONG ways towards keeping the teeth on the all too fragile 3rd gear. I run 17 psi daily from my T4 60-1 and 3rd is holding up fine. http://www.redlineoil.com/products_gearlubricants.asp?categoryID=6&subCategoryID=16

Going to try this one as I am reaching for more boost. My box syncs bad when going in reverse (And I always wait some time before engaging the gear) and I havent changed the Oil in two years:(. (shame on me)

• 4 weeks later...

I recently put MT90 in mine and actually added a thread to the forum saying how pleased I was with the results. However, a few weeks in, I may need to revise my opinion.

Since the temp dropped a few degrees this last month I've noticed that for the first 20 mins of driving, the gear shifty is very clunky and syncro is bad in second (exactly thing I was trying to fix). A bit of web research suggests that other people have found this too. Apparently, the MT90 is a little too thick at low temps for the syncro mech in the VR box. Some people are suggesting MTL as an alternative but that is still fairly thick.

Looking into it further, I found that while the original oil in the VR6 box was similar to the redline MTL, the current VW recommended gearbox oil part number refers to a very thin mineral oil (VW G52, part numbers G052726A2 / G05272601). Other people have found that the VW recommended oil for the mk4 V64MOTION is actually better for the VR6 but it is still MUCH thinner than the MT-90 or MTL fluids:

The table below compares viscosities at different temps

VI Vis@40C Vis@100C

185 90.0 15.6 = Redline MT-90 75-90 GL-4

183 56.2 10.6 = Redline MTL 70-80 GL-4

198 34.0 7.5 = Redline D4 ATF Dexron III / Mercon / API GL-4

..... 31.2 6.5 = VW G- (part number G052171A2) (Synthetic) - recommended by vw for V6 4 MOTION

..............6.3 = VW G52 (part numbers G052726A2 / G05272601) (mineral oil) - recommended by vw for VR6

The bottom line is that VW now appear to be listing a much thinner oil for the VR6 than originally came in the gearbox box (and much thinner than either of the redline products). Since the syncros in this box are known to fail, maybe this is vw's attempt to prolong their life?

Since I'm already pissed off with wrestling the shifter into second, I'm going to try out the VW G052171A2 (synthetic) stuff this weekend. Maybe this isn't appropriate where the engine has been upgraded to produce more power (and you want thicker oil to protect the drive cogs) but for the standard 174bhp, I suspect the better syncro performance will be more valuable.

I'll post my findings.

Sorry, forgot to include the G50 (original synthetic fluid) figures. Here's the table again with G50 included.

VI Vis@40C Vis@100C

..............15.6 = VW G50 (part number G005000/G005100) GL-4 (synthetic)

185 90.0 15.6 = Redline MT-90 75-90 GL-4

183 56.2 10.6 = Redline MTL 70-80 GL-4

198 34.0 7.5 = Redline D4 ATF Dexron III / Mercon / API GL-4

..... 31.2 6.5 = VW G52 (part number G052171A2) (Synthetic) - recommended by vw for V6 4 MOTION

.............. 6.3 = VW G52 (part numbers G052726A2 / G05272601) (mineral oil) - recommended by vw for VR6

Okay, filled the box with G52 synthetic today and it's pretty damned good. Much better for my car than redline MT-90 was. Shifting from 1st to second is much better (no syncro issues) and all gears feel beter when cold (and maybe when hot too).

Maybe the officialy recommended G52 mineral stuff would be just as good (or better?) but I decided to go for fully syntetic because it's more expensive and so must be better, right?

Either way, for me, VW have got this one right. Their own oil seems to out perform the aftermarkret stuff I tried (at least in my car).

Cheers,

ip

• 8 months later...

i just tried calling vw to get some info on what oil i should use and they gave me a part number for the 4motion, g52 oil. 052726 but 82 not a2??? but didnt give me a price, how much is 2 ltrs of g52?

i'll use the best i can afford but everyone knows how expensive vw are for parts. will it help quiten down my diff? 8im also adding moly slip. i think the diff is getting a bit noisey, making a whiney noise. also 1st to 2nd when giving it beans it sometimes jams in 2nd. this is the 2nd box ive put on the car and all of em have done the same thing. my last literally spat its diff out on the motorway. it took me 35 mins to pick up the peices, is it my crap driving, bad choice in replacement box or just a typical fault with these box's. its the ccm code box. i cant afford another box so need to try and save this one

• 6 months later...
  • 3 years later...