Re-drilling your hubs - is it a good idea?

In order to fit wheels with an ET of 13 i am considering having the standard hubs on my Mk3 VR6 redrilled so they have a PCD of 5/120 instead of 5/100 so that i do not have to use adaptors - which would reduce the ET to -7, thus making the wheels ALOT of work to fit.

I was wondering if anyone here has gone down the same road or if anyone has any advice on the subject??

Would re-drilling the hubs weaken them at all?? as in, would the hub having 10 holes instead of 5 make it weaker in any way??

• 2 weeks later...

I have just had mine done to 5x112 but that is the max you could go on std hubs without going all out custom, rears were a doddle, but the front had to be welded all the way round then lathed perfect as its so close to the edge. Remember that as long as the spiggot rings are in and wheel centre properly the wheel nuts only hold the wheel onto the centre and all weight is not on bolts,

squire....

In theory the metal in the hub is sweet and over engineered. (All manufacturers do this as a matter of course as they know we exisit in the world :) )

HOWEVER........ (YES IN CAPITALS)

You dont skimp on anything that keeps contact to the ground or stops you! Do you?

So why would you put the area that keeps the wheels on at issue?????

As said people do it.

I am a little OCD so if it involves steering stopping grip etc etc it is done with best engineering practises.

Trust me the barrier/Hedge?ditch?etc Hurts....

SO fit the right hubs for the job or adaptors and the CORRECT (YES CAPITALS AGAIN) connection type/format

Just my 2p. I am a bit sensative on some things....

The guys above are all spot on with their own perspectives on this.... I am just different...

I think the question you have to ask is that if guys who are running twice the power through the wheels on standard hubs are ok, then redrilling the hubs should be fine providing the redrilled holes are dead centre in between the original holes just my opinion.

Or maybe i`m just talking shit