My White VR6 *update 3/9/08 with pics*

Hello,

I am new on here, well I registered a few weeks ago but have been lurking in the background looking for the right car to buy. Been into Dub's for 5 years, had a whole host of motors from G40's to GTi's.

I really wanted a white 5 door for ages and after biding my time for a while, the right one came along.

I just spent 4 hours on trains and buses today to get to Milton Keynes but it was worth it!

Here's what I bought.

95 M reg, white 5 door with 75K on the clock, full history and the majority VW, MOT til March, 2 months tax, 4 previous owners.

Engine and everything standard which is what I wanted including airbox, new exhaust not so long ago.

Lowered on new FK coilovers, rear arches pulled and de-seamed as it had 8" wide wheels for a bit.

Came on 17" satin black TSW alloys which suprisingly look okay, also got the original BBS's which are in good order.

Sony ipod head unit.

The car has a few scratches but apart from that its mint! The seats certainly are! The guy I bought it off is a car sprayer, he said he had also fitted new side mouldings and had the arch covers off to find no rust underneath.

Drives superb and everything works.

I paid £2000.

Here's the first pics, new wheels going on hopefully this week the TSW's and standard BBS will get ebay'd. Just ordered new badges all round. I want standard fogs and indicators too when I get round to it and once I got the V5 back I am going for a VR orientated private plate.

I'm loving the VR smiles!

WhiteVR001.jpg

WhiteVR004.jpg

WhiteVR005.jpg

The wheels that are going on:

VRwheels1.jpg

Got the new wheels on today.

Had to raise the coilovers as they were catching front and rear on every bump.

I really like them, the pics doesnt do them justice. 18's are deffo the limit on a MK3 though, tbh I'm not a massive fan of hugggge wheels but I love these.

Picture002.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Picture012.jpg

Picture001.jpg

Decided the 18's are just too big, as much as I like the look of them I have actually enjoyed driving the car less as a result, they seem to have killed the performance abit. Plus over big bumps etc they still catch so I am flogging them. I have decided to put the standard BBS's back on as they are in relatively good nick and tbh I like them. Had to invest in some more new tyres though. Only alittle kurbing on them but so much more fun to drive on, I have put the coilovers right down again and it handles great. Wish I'd done this first time around but you have to try these things I guess.

Also had GAP Security out to fit a new cat 1 alarm & immobilsier as the one that came with the car was abit old school and buggered.

Also Chipsaway paid a visit and quoted me 390 quid to sort out the few blemishes on the body, well the worst of them......might get it done nextmonth if I get these wheels gone.

Got some mint original front fogs/blanks and indicators on the way as I dont like the black crystal things.

I have decided just to keep it low, standardish and enjoy!

Picture027.jpg

Hello Jon_vr,

NIce choice of colour, I never really liked whitie mk3's until I saw gav_vr6 motor. Anyways welcome and good luck. Also I you are thinking of selling the smoked front lenses then let me know or we can swap :)

vr looks nice, think 17s is deffo the limmit as you say 18s dont look right etc....

390 seems a bit much for blemishes go to a few regular body shops! i got quoted 360 for 6 pannels being resprayed recently

sold the 18's now.

Got the car booked into a good bodyshop for next week.

Getting the following repainted to sort out the worst bits on the car. Was looking at 1400 - 1600 for full respray, but I just can't justify that at the mo (to the missus). Well I might just get it done in stages lol!

Bonnet (which has a dent in it), passenger wing, both doors on passenger side, front bumper and bottom of both drivers side doors for 700 hundred quid cash which judging by the quality of their work and what chipsaway quoted to do for 390 quid whhich wasnt alot is pretty good.

Going in monday. This starting when warm problem is pissing me off though, need to sort that!

• 2 weeks later...

A little update on old whitey!

Just got the car back from having £700 worth of work at the body shop. Looks amazing! Also I have invested in some standard BBS alloys which have been powder coated and painted black complete with new centre caps. All done by a pro refurber. The wheels have never been kurbed, they just had laquer peel etc so they were acid dipped first to remove the old paint. I haven't got them fitted yet, hopefully next week they will go on.

Also fitted a new original looking gear knob and gaiter from Germany to replace the worn standard one. Looks pretty smart.

Also sporting new orginal badges all around, I opted for the highline domed rear VW badge though as its nice and smoooth. Fitted the original fogs and indicators at the front and whacked some nice new and plain number plates on to complete the look.

Its raining at the mo, but if it stops I will get some more pics up.

Its stopped raining but still alittle dark, but managed to get a few pics. Would be some much better in the sun and after a wash plus abit of back to black. The body shop really have done me proud. Just needs the wheels on now. Going to sort a rear wiper too soon, Ive got the motor.

Decided to put some original repeaters on as the tinted ones again aint my thing.

saturday080.jpg

saturday081.jpg

saturday083.jpg

saturday087.jpg

saturday091.jpg

saturday084.jpg

saturday093.jpg

The next set of wheels to go on lol:

bbs1.jpg

Sorry mate sold them last week on E38.

Had to take this photo tonight. There's a story behind it. The other white VR was the car I originally wanted to buy which is local to me. It appeared on pistonheads, but in the end the guy wouldnt sell it.

Still I think I got something as good for less money more history and less miles, so all is fair. He has been on here before judging by the owners club sticker in his windscreen.

saturday098.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Got the car back this afternoon from another bodyshop session.

I wont say how much it cost me, but thats well over a grand in paint its had now.

The sills and arches were a right old mess and took them ages to sort. They have had the doors off and sprayed the door shuts too and welded all the rivet holes etc in the arches.

Basically the car has had everything painted now apart from the roof, tailgate and rear bumper, which I may get done at a later date. They have done both drivers doors completely again free of charge, as I was unhappy with some bad masking lines first time around.

Its going to remain with the sill and arch trims off as I prefer it.

Here's some pics:

150808012.jpg

150808013.jpg

150808014.jpg

150808015.jpg

150808017.jpg

When I bought the car the guy told me he had done the rear arches to take 9's at the back. When I removed the trim I discovered he had hammerd them out then cut and folded the lip in. HE didnt do a bad job, but the arches were obviously dented by the hammer technique.

The bodyshop have left the lip as it is but filled it full of sealant behind to stop any rust and then smoothed them over. The front drivers sill had been pranged and badly filled, and was rusting. They have cut smoothed and filled this. Apart from this there wasnt really any rust, just abit of shoody previous work, its amazing what those arch trims are used to cover.

oh right, i removed the arches from my old vr and found huge patches of rust bubbles bigger than tennis balls!

im looking into spending about a grand or so in stages to mine, gonna get new front wings i thin, as mine are very rusty and have been painted once before!