Brake/ABS Bleeding... Can ABS be done manually?

Hi All

Have just recently replaced my rear bushes (won't be doing that job again in a hurry...) and decided to replace all my rear brake hoses too, The problem is that I can't seem to get the brakes bled at all! They feel firm until the car is started then they go to sh*t. Another problem I have is that my ABS is more temperemental than my missus and as a result, I cannot get my vag-com to speak to it in order to bleed the ABS. The VAG-COM (ebay job) comes back with "Too many communication errors" which is extremely helpful.

I notice there are bleed valves on the ABS, can I bleed them manually at alland if not, do you know how I can get around the "Too many communication errors" problem?

Thanks for having the patience to read my rambling post and your help is greatly appreciated!

Ah sorry mate, I may have confused you a bit; the ABS can only be bled through the VAG-COM electronically as far as I am aware. I originally throught my problem was to do with this after bleeding all calipers, as it turned out I'd just missed a bleed valve on the hose connected to the brake fluid reservoir which has about 6mm head, bled that as you generally would and my brake pedal was firm again!

Yeah just seen your other post answering my question.

Thanks for that.

I also recently had my front calipers changed and SS hoses put on and when I got it back from the garage the pedal would nearly hit the floor.

I found out about the VAG COM ABS procedure and for some reason by just doing the output tests on the ABS unit it cured it a bit.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...