Wynns "Stop Smoke" for gods sake, don't use it!!

Hi all, i have a 92 Vr6 Golf and it's smoke a bit on overrun, i wanted to calm this down a little untill i had the money for a bottom end rebuild so i used " Wynns Stop Smoke", i added it to the engine like it said and ran it to work , it ran fine, set off back home 3 hrs later, it ran fine, 100 miles round trip i might add so it definately had chance to get all round the engine!!,

The following morning i started the car and set off, i didn't even make it out of my drive!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just had the top cover off and guess what i found??, A SNAPPED CAM!!!!,

The oil pressure must have been that high that the tappets were locked up in the extended position so the cam had too much resistance to turning and hey presto, one knacked cam!!

Does anyone have a rear cam for a 92 vr6 golf, cos i need one!!, it's the one that does 1-3&5 bores!!

Mak@eshtonhouse.co.uk , drop me a line and help me please

Regards all and don't forget!!!!

Don't mess with quick remedies!!!, it may cost you in the end!!

Bugwhizz :( :( :(

HI mate - cheesus aitch - thats bad!

I think the hydraulic tappet blocks only extend by about a millimeter or so (maybe a bit less, maybe a bit more?) - but not enough to damage a cam like that - unless anyone else knows different?

You might need to check the oil supply to the head - you'll prob find that one of the plain bearings that supports the cam has run dry of oil and siezed causing the cam to snap. So putting a new cam in might go the same way x)

Check the head gasket at the point just above the crank pulley on the drivers side of the car. If its really wet with oil, it could suggest a problem. Oil may be squirting into the engine (and cylinder number 1 (smoking?)) rather than up the head....

Just a thought..... &|

Jules

I've just done the head gasket a month ago and everything looked fine, the car was runnin sweet until i put that wynns stuff in it!!!, it was on Dubsports rollers the week previous and put out a healthy 178.9bhp (corrected), the cam snapped or should i say broke away at the point where the woodruff key sits inside the timing cog, i'm not sure if the valves hit pistons or what??, is there enough clearance to avoid this on a vr6???

I've just done the head gasket a month ago and everything looked fine' date=' the car was runnin sweet until i put that wynns stuff in it!!!, it was on Dubsports rollers the week previous and put out a healthy 178.9bhp (corrected), the cam snapped or should i say broke away at the point where the woodruff key sits inside the timing cog, i'm not sure if the valves hit pistons or what??, is there enough clearance to avoid this on a vr6???

[/quote']

the vr is an interference design - the valves can hit the pistons... &|

post a pic of the damage if you can?!?

the cams are the same for coilpack and dizzy engine btw....

Jules

that's a very kind offer Speedo, one which i'd like to take you up on, obviously i'd cover all postage costs, pm me your number and i'll give you a bell

I'll post pics shortly of the damage this stuff caused

Thanks for all the kind coments and all the help and advice, it's all been much appreciated!!

Regards

(Bugwhizz)