Passenger Footwell leak

My Golf VR6 has a nice leak in the pass footwell.. the previous owner (a mate) thought he had solved it but seems he hasn’t.. no amount of silicone will fix a disconnected sunroof drain! Well after looking on the forum I have come to the conclusion its the sunroof drain.

The water runs down the passenger side kick panel on the left next to the door and the carpet is soaked :-(

Are there any guides or pictures of how to get to this part? I’m used to Jap cars that fall apart in your hands.. dead easy to get to stuff ;)

Thanks for any help

Paul

I think to get to this would involve the roof lining off, tha 'A' pillar cover and possibly the dash (might be wrong) - maybe even the sunroof!!!

Are you sure its off?? If you open the sunroof and pour water into the drain hole does it come into the car - might be worth a test if its already wet - move the carpets and see...

Could this not be the heater rad leaking? I had a leak and I found it to be the housing for the pollen filter had come away from the body - the seal had give up...

Just a couple of suggestions...

Hi Sharky

Thanks for the reply.

yes defo the sunroof drain pipe.. I have since done a form of fix 8-)

Problem was the rubber grommet that is on the outside of the wing (behind the door) was missing and the pipe from the sunroof was connected to nothing and water was pouring into the foot well!

• Fix was to cut a kettle lead and pull the three wires out.

• leave one end with a bit of the flexi rubber that comes out to create a wedge effect.

• Feed it down the drain hole in the sunroof, then pull through the hole in the wing.

• Used a bit of silicone on the sunroof end to stop anything going the wrong side of the pipe... job done!

Well it will do for now... I’m a bit of a perfectionist with me cars and will no doubt be removing the blower fan ect to install a proper replacement to remove the inserted pipe… doesn’t feel right but at least the car can only get dryer!!

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Is the sunroof drain grommet the one right above where the wiring from the door enters the car? Thats so badly placed as the water is draining out the grommet and then into my car through the electrical wiring.

I was thinking extending the drain would be easier than trying to seal the electricals entering into the car.

• 5 months later...

Has anyone got any more ideas on sunroof leaks?

I've been looking at it again today. The carpets are out and lots of the dash trim removed.

When I spray water on the roof, the drain grommets are working fine, theres plenty of water comig out but I'm still getting water running down the kick panels on both passanger and drivers side.

Is it possible to get a new seal for between the sunroof glass and the car body?

Just looking at the sunroof drain channels that run alongside the edges of the sunroof opening; The drivers side has drained but the passanger side still has water in it as though there could be a blockage. maybe need to poke something along there.

heres what i found today. If you remove the glove box you can put your hand up so you can see your fingers in the corner of the windscreen. Well that ledge is wet and the water is running down the fan blower casing.

I could also see that the drain pipework was connected up ok and wasn't wet.

The space is very cramped but I'm going back out in a minute to see what more I can do.