hello. ive got a 92 vr6 golf with 118000 on the clock. i bought it a month ago for 1285 with full history and in good nick. anyway for a couple of weeks its been using water, i do about 600 miles a week and its due a service but im topping up about half a litre a day i cant see any signs of a leak in the engine bay and there are no signs of water in the engine oil. the engine hasnt shown any signs of overheating either, the oils temps roughly 104 on mways and 90ish around town. ive just started noticeing some odd noises from the engine area when sitting at idle after its warmed up (grumbling noises). im confused as the waters got to be going somewhere! any ideas peeps?

Could be going out the exhaust... Does your coolant pipes get hard after a long drive.. Temp gauge doesn't move atall?

Ive got a 1.8 mk3 atm and loose about the same amount of water. My head guakets gone between the coolant and cylinder bore causing it to pressureise the coolant system and guessing some coolant gets burned up aswell..

So check if your coolant pipes are getting hard

Check all your coolant hoses for leaks

Check your head gaskets not leaking visably

thermostate housing

heater matrix

Lots of things can leak mate but if you can't find any then it could be your head gasket

Sounds like you have a leaky thermostat housing, they tend to warp with the heat over time.

replace the housing + seals should see you right mate.

main thermostat housing - 021 121 117A - £22.45 + vat

seal to join to head - 021 121 119A - £2.28 + vat

connector to water pipe - 021 121 133D - £9.45 + vat

connector to pipe seal - N101 392 01 - £1.48 + vat

thermostat cover - 021 121 121A - £9.45 + vat

thermostat (80deg) - 075 121 113D - £11.50 + vat

thermostat seal - N901 368 02 - £2.15 + vat

temp sensor seals - N903 168 02 - £0.87 +vat

cheers mate thats a great help, hopefully that does it. is it an easy diy job? im a plumber so seals and the like shouldnt be a prop and ive got a basic understanding of mechanics. how much should it be at a garage if i dont take it on myself?

Its an easy job. Just a little crowded down there. Be carefull not to shread the allen bolts . . . use wd40.

removing the battery gives you extra space to work. And is a must if you do shread the allen bolts and need to drill them out :$

iv got to do the same thing on mine now i had it on a ramp last nite and my oil cooler is leaking and the thermost housing is leaking as well lol

iv seen metal crack pipses for £75 does any one no how much a plastic one is from vw ?

I asked ford and it was £40+ plus vat. But I've seen lower figures quoted since though.

thanks for all your help and advice people. im gonna take it to a garage i use to confirm and do the work as im not overly confident about doing it and being so busy at work i havent got time really. ill let you know how it go's. cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

update on what happend! it was the thermostat housing that was leaking afterall (thanks to those who pointed that out) i noticed a tiny jet of water spraying out under revs. anyway took it to a garage near me gave them the parts list they said the parts would be £90 + 2 hours labour £197 in total (fair enough i thought). so i pick it up and all seemed well, when i got to work i had a look and saw that the coolant was below minimum but the cap was loose so i thought id lost some on the drive to work, then i noticed a small drip from the blue box and the blanking plug connected the housing, so i phone the garage and they said they would sort it out the next day. on the drive home i took it easy when all of a sudden on the m25 my coolant warning flashes so i get on the hard shoulder kill the engine and take a look and theres steam everywhere, no coolant left at all (fuming). i get the aa to tow me to the garage, keys through the door. i phoned them 1st thing to bollock them, i had to hire a car£70) to go to work. they phoned later to say i had a split in the coolant hose so another £110 + vat and the car would be ready saturday. so saturday comes and they say the cars not gonna be ready till monday due to a power cut. do you think its likely for a hose to split the day after the other work was done?