Engine tapping/knocking after cam chains changed.

Ok will try and keep this short as possible...

MK 3 VR6 1993

The cars been running fine and had a head rebuild after the headgasket went-no problems. which was about 12 months ago.

Recently the car had part of the top cam chain tension break off and (about an inch) which fluttered around with the cam chains.

Cutting a long story short the car was put into a garage and had both new cam chains, all new tensioners,adjusters and new oil pump changed all at the same time.(all new from vw)

Obviously the garage was incompetent as the car now has a dreadful sound which i can only call a cross between a knock and tap (almost like big ends) coming from what appears to be the central area around the intermediate shaft area which they havent been able to fix!

It was fine before this last lot of work was carried out so im assuming it must be related to something they have done!It appears not to have lost any power as such etc

Luckily i have taken on this car as is and purchased it in this condition so its not me thats been ripped off.

Would like your opinions really if poss.

I bought the car over the fone in its present condition and collected it last night.Today ive had a quick look at it and i actually think the noise sounds like its coming from the behind the back of the engine around number 1 cylinder possibly around the tappet area.If i can i will try and get a sound recording done and see what you guys think.

gutted for you mate... I would defo take it back to the garage, sounds like the chain tensioner snapped took the timing out and possibly bent some internals. Chains might be the least of your worries. Only way to check it have the head apart and check.

Yer it does need striping down by the sounds of it.. Somthink else you can do just to check the it isn't the shells is pull a spark plug lead off one by one. If the knocking noise gets qwieter then you know its a big end (the one you removed the spark plug from)

Worth doing before you strip anythink down as only takes 10 mins and if they had the sump off...

Taking it back to the garage isnt an option as the previous owner has had some kind of payout for it.

Im 99% sure it isnt big ends etc as the noise is from the tappet/valve area from behind cylinder 1 and no noise from the sump area.It also sounds to "tinny" for it to be the bottom end.

Also the noise does get quieter from time to time but at no specific time.

My opinion is its either a really bad tappet or possible valve/cam lobe problem.

Im actuallly starting to think its a coincidence with the cam chains being replaced etc at the time it started as the noise isnt from that area?

How relable are tappets on the vr6 engine?

"between a knock and tap (almost like big ends) coming from what appears to be the central area around the intermediate shaft area which they havent been able to fix!"

Well id sort the intermediate shaft out first lol...

But you say its sounds like its coming from valve area? Altho sounds can travel.

Could be as jezmoz said with the timing going out and bending some valves but i think you would notest that power wise when driving.

Could do a compresson test and if it holds good compression then it would surly tell u if the valves are bent

I wonder what snapped valve spring would sound like?

So many things it could be as it sounds like the engine been messed around with alot.

Think it needs striping down tbf and seeing whats happend to it. Atleast the timing covers and rocker cover, use feeler gauges to see if you got a realy bad tappit or poss valve spring (donno if they ever break tbf) Also go over there work timing end

Low millage VR6 engines are getting very cheep on ebay now lol

U going to try fix it your self?

Yeah cylinder 1 seems to be the noisest area altho like you say its hard to tell being honest with you when the noise sounds so deep in the engine..

I did try taking off the oil filler cap and listening thru there to see if the noise was worse and hoping to pinpoint it to a tappet but no joy as it didnt even seem to get noisier with the filler cap off!

It really seems deep in the heart of the engine so maybe it is the intermediate shaft somehow making the noise.

Like you say its def looking like a strip down job and have a look.I will try the top end like top chain.valve springs etc first as i was hoping not to goto the etxent of dropping off the gearbox etc to get to the bottom chain.

Seems the gearbox etc has to come off to check the intermediate shaft timing and shaft etc which is a royal pain in the a*se if its that .....

I will be doing the work myself.Im more a vauxhall man tho really (done a few v6 astra conversions) but never worked on a vr6 before.

Ive got a large lock up and rebuilt engines etc before but was secretly wishing it was a bit simpler fix before having to delve deep into an engine which ive never worked on before.

• 2 weeks later...

good luck, I got a simular problem, sounds like intermediate shaft bearings failing leading to drop in oil pressure???? how did you get on? where on earth do you find these shaft bearings?? as vw dont seem to do them, or have you got a part number for these please??? help HELP

if it sounds like a knocking/tapping from the back of engine/exhaust manifold area it will prob be bigends.. thats what mine was like..

And mine.

stand back away from the car with the engine running and put your head down to try and look under it and see if it gets louder. mine sounded the same as yours and i thought it was tappets until i walked away then it got realy loud.

if it sounds like a knocking/tapping from the back of engine/exhaust manifold area it will prob be bigends.. thats what mine was like..

And mine.

stand back away from the car with the engine running and put your head down to try and look under it and see if it gets louder. mine sounded the same as yours and i thought it was tappets until i walked away then it got realy loud.

mine sounded like someone was beating the back of the engine with a hammer..lol

it did let go at 120 tho!!