project vr turbo - less than a grand - thread cleaned and updated 19 05 2009

well, ive decided to bite the bullet so to speak and build a turbo lump, im keeping it simple and for the time being only goign for 8-10 psi. yesterday i picked up a complete vr lump for 50 quid, so that will be stripped and ill replace what i need to .

im gonnan order a turbo manifold from over here, so it fits and the rest is coming from the states, as its rude not to exploit the exchange rate.

im gonna run a begi fmu unit to take car of the fueling , and will stick my 263 cams in it when its ready.

not to sure on what intercooler yet, but im looking at someof the cossie one's

ill post pics as i go along, oh, and im hoping to do this for less than a grand, im sure some people will say it cant be done, but i think it can , and as most of what i need will be sourced of ebay / secondhand or via the states then i think ill have a chance.

ive just brought my engine stand and am borrowing a hoist to get the engine out the back of my van, once its in the garage ill start the project proper.

wish me luck, and tips welcome..

jim

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cheers oli, im sourcing a t3/4 turbo and then im gonna pinch some ideas of off the other turbo threads ive been reading up on..a grand should be enough providing this engine i picked up is ok, upon first looks , it looks fine..

Fair play... Its going to be a tight one lol. Seen this the other day which is full of bits that are probaly usefullhttp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/vr6-turbo-kit_W0QQitemZ320249766531QQihZ011QQcategoryZ36680QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

ah yeh got that listing, i think its do-able.

if you look at what you need, you need

tubby, manifold, oil and water feeds, intercooler, pipework, silcon hoses , fmu unit, spacer gasket and a engine, them bits is the bulk of it. im not paying top dollar for say 440 injectors, when i no that the skyline boys throw them away after a boost upgrade !

i may use a guy called jap andy on ebay , as ive had loads of stuff of of him when i had my 200 sx's (i had 4), intercooler pipework and the downpipe will be made in house, as i have a welder and more power tools than your local plant hire shop, i also have a very handy to know brother in law (mot tester) , who has asked to help , just as long as he can have a go. !

costs so far

engine 50 quid

engine stand 50 quid - i will sell this at the end of the build to reqoup some cost.

i will also nearer the end of the build have a obx 6 branch for sale with a 2.5 flexi welded into it, to stop any cracks.

engine stand 50 quid - i will sell this at the end of the build to reqoup some cost.

No u wont coz u need it when u give mine the treatment for 1k remember!! haha

i will also nearer the end of the build have a obx 6 branch for sale with a 2.5 flexi welded into it' date=' to stop any cracks.

[/quote']

Hurry up then lol coz i think my box is on the way out :( Easier to get into 1st if i put it in 2nd first then into 1st *-)

lizard, as im only going to run 8 psi, im plannig on using my new orig clutch, filter i already have, i also have a afr gauge, dv ive got, for the remap , im gonna leave it alone for the time being and see how it runs on standard management with just a begi fmu unit. rest of the fabrication work im doing myself , as i have a welder and cutting / mitre tools.

but i no what you mean, it is the little things that add up, luckily ive had a few turbo'd motors before , so i still have some bits lying around that i can make use of.

i may use the megasquirt ecu as i had one before and was impressed with it. but im gonna try to get it runnig on a standard ecu. with all that said its gonna be the top end of my 1000 pound budget when its all done.

right a quick update

ive compiled a excel spreadsheet , so i can track my budget

if i take off the schimal cams which i had ordered previous to the desicion then im at 548 squids for evrything bar the turbo, if i add the cams to the build price then its 742 squids leaving just over 200 quid for gaskets and bolts etc...

told ya i could do it :)

wether or not it will is a different matter :)

ill post the sheet later for your browsing, and hopefully the build will start next week, ill update with pictures and a list as i go.

Ah fair enuff then... So because your only going for 9psi does this mean a smaller turbo can be used? How much power to exspecting to make?

Im going to see how u get along then think about doing it myself... I always thought that i was going to turbo my car id go all out LSD forsed rods ect ect

Low boost turbos never crossed my mind but for the money its def worth thinking about. Surpose u can always uprate things later when you want more power

ingham , i was gonna use a t28 from a 200sx , i had 4 of these cars before so i thought it would be ok, i also used to have a table of the.ar hot and cold sides and when it would spool etc..sadly i lost it.

the earlier 200sx's run t25 which i agree are to small , on the 200 they can only really do around 1 bar.

the later s14's had a t28 , good for a little more , maybe a bar and a half.

the pulsars had a t28 with slighlty different internals, which spooled better.

as it is im probaly going to go t3/4 .

phat vr6, im hoping to run around 8-10 psi, i no people that have just bolted them to the engine with no intercooler or spacer gasket , and had good results.

im using a spacer gasket , intercooler, and sticking my schimmel cams in , so hopefully around 300 bhp.. i believe 8 psi will be around 280 bhp.

im then gonna run a custom chip or a custom ecu when funds allow, but i want the car built and on the road for under a grand.. im still on line for this if i can get a tubby at a good price..im not fussed if its new, just that it works. most of my 200 sx'x ( i had 4) were built on a budget using ebay / japan arts all of which were seconhand, i only buy new if i have to or if its a critical part. i.e brakes , suspension, engine components. starters, alternators etc im happy to take a chance on .