Car doesn't start too well, fuel non-return valve?

Hi All

I have been doing some diagnostics on a problem i've had for about 2 years and never sussed, the car can take about 20-30 secs to start when cold and is a pain in the arse,

I have tested the fuel pressure with a gauge today and noticed that the pressure drops over the course of an hour or so which makes me think it's some kind of non-return valve. The only problem being... I'm not sure where the valve is, is it part of the pump?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

There may well will be a problem with the non return valve (not sure where they are), but should not be a major problem in any case as when you turn the ignition key to the ign position, the fuel pump "primes" the fuel system for 3-4 seconds, and should show on your fuel gauge a decent fuel pressure immediately before the engine's cranked.

How many miles has your VR done? And does this occur when the engine is warm? After short runs/long runs etc?

Cheers for the quick reply, the car has done 144,000 and it only really occurs when the car starts from cold, I have changed the ECT sensor and fuel pressure regulator amongst a few other things.

Its more an irritation than a big problem but i've just had to get a new starter motor because of the stress it has had on that!

Ta