Any 'clued up' photographers?

You'll find different answers depending on who you speak to, as there's Canon lovers and Nikon lovers out there. I did some investigation before i spent the money and found the Canon 400d to be the best buy of the two, so got that. If you've nto got any lenses/other kit already, then thats what i'd recommend. I believe the Nikon doesn't have an autofocus motor built in to the body, meaning that you are more restricted on lens choice.....thats the one thing that sticks in my mind!

Other than that, go to a shop and try them both. The 400d is quite a small body so might not feel comfortable to you.

I'm no expert but have been looking at the same thing very recently (went for the Canon 30D in the end) there's very little between the 400D and 40X... you won't go far wrong with either,both are excellent cameras and well priced.

The Nikon does come with a better kit lens but it doesnt have an auto focus motor built into the camera so you have to buy lenses with the motor built in to them which will reduce your choice of lenses and probably make them higher priced

Thanks for the replies, didn't expect to get much response on this subject!

I was aware of the Nikon lenses having built-in motors, as opposed to having it in the body itself. Don't think that would be an issue for me to start with, as i'll be buying a package deal which includes an additional lense. However, as and when i want to upgrade the lense or get additional lenses, that may become a factor. So its a point well worth considering.

In what way is the Nikon lense kit better?

If you're going to get a kit with the lenses then I think all would agree get the best camera you can!

Pop into a good shop where you can chat to someone on them and actually hold them. Some just don't sit right when you hold them. Fat fingers/too heavy etc etc etc

I now it's a high street name but if you go into Jessops and find a quiet-er time then the guys usually know their onions. Always ask if you can speak to the person who uses them and knows about the specific products. It may mean you have to go back, but as you're spending a good ten pounds it's worth the effort.

The reason I say get the highest spec camera is that you can always upgrade the attachements as you go. Remember only certain types of lens fit certain types of camera (Motor etc as you say and your old ones may also...)

Think about their operating systems they run and ease of use. Catching that VR as it passes by the window and you're still setting and fiddling is a real disapointment.

I have also heard people talking about the display screens and what you can or can't see in them, but every generation gets better of course!

There are upgrades in memory cards on the way so check what types they currently take and if there is a new product on the way.

The final thing is Don't forget to ask for a deal as they can manouver on the price. If they refuse then try for a free camera bag/stand/card/voucher. It all adds up when your looking at a good wad of money.

They will be looking to hit targets for sales in March and especially end of March to close out that fiscal quarter. When chatting find out if they run to the tax year. If that's the case then they may offer even better deals if you buy before April 1st! Lots of Companies have not done as well as they hoped so are after every penny and the extras come out of a different column on the balance sheet ;)

Just my 2p worth..... LOL :)

Cheers Rodney. Some very good points there, especially about the tax year and haggling with them for a better deal etc.

I think the best deals will be online anyway to be honest. But i guess i can always go into a shop and show them what i can get online and ask if they'll match it.

Went to have a quick look at them yesterday. I found the Canon felt more comfortable for me, as it had a bit more depth where you wrap you fingers round the side. The bloke in the shop didn't really know his stuff, so i'm gonna go to a proper camera shop and speak to someone a bit more knowledgable snd get their opinion(s).

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in the motorsport media game for a living, and to be honest any photographer who is worth his weight will be shooting with Canon. I personally have a 40D and can say that it is an excellent body. The Canon lenses are the best on the market, their latest range of lenses are truly amazing. If i'm honest the kit i have comes to a few quid, but it was worth every penny. It will take you some time to get used to all the settings but do experiment as the autoshhot function may be the easiest option but you will get far better pics when you start to shoot manual. Getting your head round f stop numbers and ISO settings might take a while. I found the best way to learn was to just spend a day out taking pics with different settings and finding what worked and what didn't. It's a very addictive hobby when you start to crack it. Be prepared to spend a few quid on lenses, Ebay is a good source, I bought my initial kit from there. If you need any help with settings if you buy Canon mail me and i'll try to help.

Andy

Well I plumped for the Canon 400D in the end and funnily enough I bought it pretty much simultaneously as you posted your message!

I've only had a quick play so far, but I am extremely impressed with what i've seen. The image quality is superb. Spent most of my day at work today reading through the manual and in the next few days will be getting as much practise in as poss before the 'ring trip on Friday!

I will probably be in touch Andy, if thats cool with you. I know a bit about photography, but i'm sure i can get some great tips from you if its your proffession!

Well I plumped for the Canon 400D in the end and funnily enough I bought it pretty much simultaneously as you posted your message!

I've only had a quick play so far' date=' but I am extremely impressed with what i've seen. The image quality is superb. Spent most of my day at work today reading through the manual and in the next few days will be getting as much practise in as poss before the 'ring trip on Friday!

I will probably be in touch Andy, if thats cool with you. I know a bit about photography, but i'm sure i can get some great tips from you if its your proffession!

[/quote']

Hi Steve,

You bringing it to Germany?

Good buy Steve ;)

I use my Canon EOS the most due to the lenses' date=' get a tripod for night photos.

but I do have others I use due to the bulk of the Canon.

Kodak slim line for going out with easy to store away as It has one of the best movie capture with good sound quality for as long has anti blur and takes good pics when you're drunk.

Sony Cybershot I keep with me all the time shopping, driving, and always at work.

Olympus 410 is old and use it for the beaches when on we are holiday or in the water like the

hot springs of Iceland and has a cuisine mode which I always use when prepairing & cooking meals,

I email my reciepe with pictures around work step by step.

I did use it for the photo below.

[img']http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v416/vr6golf/Family/Lee/Work/vr024.jpg