The 3.2 sump on a VR6 thread

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This thread isn't for justifying my motives for doing it, but if you must know:- 1) I enjoy working on the car and trying new parts. It's just a hobby. 2) Because I had to change the pump anyway, and

i've confused myself reading this now.... r32sump or audi 3.2 sump?

I got it imported from Germany

• 1 month later...

Well worth the money and time if you get through sumps like i do. I would love to see some pics of how the sump sits compared to the subframe etc now. Looks about 3 cm shallower from the initial pics.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

"The only mod I had to make was to cut a small section out of the plastic baffle where the dipstick passes through because the R32's dipstick sits 1.5" closer to the gearbox than the 12V's. Strange.

They probably moved it for intake manifiold clearance reasons?"

Is this still the case when using the 24v dipstick? Getting everything tomorrow so just want to make sure. I take it its the sump thats the prob, so matter what dipstick you use the bit will need cuting out?

Cheers

Haydn

Yeah that's right mate. You will see what I mean when you get the bits. My camera was out of action when I did this, otherwise I would have documented it properly.

It'a a bit of a faff as you have to remove the plastic baffles to cut or drill a section out neatly. The baffles are screwed in, so come out easily. My R32 sump had some loose bits of casting flash under the baffles, so a good idea to remove those whilst you're there.

Cheers

• 3 months later...

Due to the fact ally sumps shatter i started thinking,

R32 oil pump and pick up with shallow modified 12v steel sump, Would take some welding and fabricating but should be easy enough Plus you can reinforce and plate it,

You say that the plastic baffles remove from the R32 sump? How much work would it be to mount in a 12v sump from memory?

Anyway way think this way would be the best of all worlds if your running low

• 5 months later...

I don't see what's confusing about this post ;-) -

OK' date=' went to pick up my sump and pump and they're wrong. [b']We looked on the Audi ETKA and can't find a baffled sump for any 3.2 Audi.

It is definitely the R32 that has the baffled sump

These are therefore the revised part numbers and everything you need:-

R32 baffled sump - 022 103 601R - £89

R32 oil pump - 022 115 105E - £103

R32 oil pipe - 021 115 203 - ~ £20

Sump sealant - D176 404 A2 - ~£15

The oil pipe connects to the block and is different to the Audi and 12V pipes.

Normal silicon sealant doesn't long in hot oil, so I'd recommend the white stuff VAG use (listed above).

Yep, they do the same with the oil breather pipe too. From VW you have to buy the whole intake pipe for £100 ish, but Ford will sell you just the breather section for £25 ish, so yeah, I know what you're thinking.

Afaik, only VAG vehicles got the 24V VR6. And even if it went into other cars, it's unlikely they'd get the R32 version with the modded sump and pump :-(

• 3 weeks later...