312mm brake conversion (TT setup) write up / DIY

as you now im looking for a 312mm brake conversion on my mk3 vr6, i know you can use the mk4 GTI 312mm front calipers, are V6 4-motion 312mm calipers the same?? check link below.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-98-03-NEARSIDE-FRONT-BRAKE-CALIPER-312mm-DISCS-/320893711529?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3AVW&hash=item4ab6c174a9

:-) thanks

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Before you do anything, braided hoses.

First off, Im not trying to piss on any previous DIY guides been done before by users of this forum, Just i found as a total new to 312mm setup i found it hard getting the answers to certain questions

i dont know how many times it needs to be said 15 INCH WHEELS WILL NOT WORK!!! spacing the wheels wont work either, the simple fact is the disc and caliper are too big to fit inside a huge majority of

• 2 months later...

Am i right in thinking i can use the existing TT caliper brake lines when upgrading or have i got to swap the to Hel or Goodrich to get them fitted correctly?

Also is the washer option ok to use to space the caliper? I was looking at ECS adaptor kit but the postage costs more than the goods 8-)

I used waqshers on mine and had no problems. I cant see why you cant use the TT line as its a banjo fitment' date=' tho I had goodridge put on mine

[/quote']

Thanks for the info, will get down to my local hardware store and hopefully get them on before the weekend, £55 for the goodridge lines from C&R Enterprises seems too good to pass on whilst its getting done.

• 9 months later...
  • 7 months later...

As I am looking to only use my VR6 as a track car , just how much better are the 312mm's than the 288mm's ?? Of course I would be looking at some track pads and probably some drilled and grooved discs instead of standard 225 TT discs but if the improvement is not huge then I may consider a BBK.

Cheers

Neil

@NPCS - Different people on here have reported various results. Some say it does next to nothing, others claim significantly improved stopping power.

Personally I think there should be some noticeable improvement (otherwise I wouldn't be in the process of doing this upgrade myself), but I don't expect to go through the windscreen when I stamp on the brakes with 312mm disks. It's difficult to say precisely what the difference is unless you conduct a properly scientific experiment. 

For example, if you upgrade to the 312mm calipers, you may change your brake fluid in the process. If the existing fluid has been in there for a while (many years in some cases), simply changing the fluid will improve your breaking... which you then might erroneously attribute to your new calipers. Ditto the new pads that are likely to have been installed as part of the upgrade - they may be doing more for the braking improvement than the bigger disks. So it's hard to prove exactly what improvement is caused *only* by the 312mm upgrade without some sort of test. 

I think it also depends on exactly which 312mm upgrade you go for. There are a wide range of compatible parts, some of which a rumoured to have slightly different dimensions or specifications. So the 312mm calipers from a Mk4 Golf may have a piston which is 1mm smaller than the piston from a TT's 312mm caliper, for example - which translates to different stopping distances (this is a theoretical example, don't quote me on that). But you catch my drift - you'd need to compare like-for-like in order to put this argument to bed once and for all. 

P.S. I'd personally go with dimpled as opposed to drilled disks. Or stick with plain disks and splash out on top-of-the-range pads instead. Each to their own I suppose - track use is a bit more punishing than my daily commute.

• 1 month later...

Only just seen this, I'm using my brothers old S3 brakes, presume they are the same as the TT? Also agree with the brake fluid change and braided hoses, all older cars everything is deteriorated and standard flexi hoses expand under pressure, worse when older. Part of the MOT test is to check the hoses under pressure but how many garages do you see check them properly on an MOT

Edited by PeteVRT

As I am looking to only use my VR6 as a track car , just how much better are the 312mm's than the 288mm's ?? Of course I would be looking at some track pads and probably some drilled and grooved discs instead of standard 225 TT discs but if the improvement is not huge then I may consider a BBK.

Cheers

Neil

I have just took 312mm off my 4 motion as they were OK but not fantastic on track, I was running Ferodo DS2500 pads and standard discs.

I now have Brembo 323mm from a Leon Cupra R and DS3000 pads, I have also opted for HEL  performance braided hoses for front and rears.

You can see  HERE what I have bought but not yet fitted.

BTW, we are going to Oulton Park on Feb 21st if you want to fetch your Golf to the track? MSV

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...