312mm brake conversion (TT setup) write up / DIY

I want to do this on the Phatsat but im getting mixed information about which carriers i can use. Is there anywhere where i can get the carriers i need, because the hubs on Passat are slightly different dependent on year- aluminium or cast iron! Gggggrrrr.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Before you do anything, braided hoses.

First off, Im not trying to piss on any previous DIY guides been done before by users of this forum, Just i found as a total new to 312mm setup i found it hard getting the answers to certain questions

i dont know how many times it needs to be said 15 INCH WHEELS WILL NOT WORK!!! spacing the wheels wont work either, the simple fact is the disc and caliper are too big to fit inside a huge majority of

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, just to confirm a few things.

I have a 288mm set up on the front.

Can I just buy a carrier, sort out a 6mm plate with holes cut and put some 312mm discs on with new pads to match??

Where is the current best place to get the carrier as they tend to get sold with calipers on ebay for example?

Can I use my original carrier bolts or do I need new ones? What exact spec do I need?

Can I use 16" VAG wheels from say a later Golf GTi?

Many thanks,

Ian

Hi' date=' just to confirm a few things.

I have a 288mm set up on the front.

Can I just buy a carrier, sort out a 6mm plate with holes cut and put some 312mm discs on with new pads to match??

Where is the current best place to get the carrier as they tend to get sold with callipers on ebay for example?

Which Audi TT should I look for?

Can I use my original carrier bolts or do I need new ones? What exact spec do I need?

Can I use 16" VAG wheels from say a later Golf GTi?

Many thanks,

Ian

[/quote']

You can buy carriers from TPS tho not cheap' date=' and I used original bolts on my 312 conversion. Pads will be same as 288s

[/quote']

Thanks Craggsy,

Anywhere else?

How much from TPS? Can anyone buy from TPS?

Won't the pads be slightly deeper?

Which ones would you go for, Audi TT225bhp/S3 (1.8TQ)?

Sorry for all the questions.

Ian

sorry to butt in but its always good to head down ur scrappy n see if u cn find a vrs, TT 225, or i think a 180 golf aswwell, i found a vrs down there and managed to to the calipers, carriers and disks for 70 quid which i dint think was bad at all wen on ebay its about 150 a pair. just an idea, saves spending a lot of money on a few bits of metal.

• 3 months later...

informative read :) Im planning 312s for my corrado which has 280s and thought I could reuse the calipers but ill have to hunt a bit more now I guess. Out of interest where is the best place to source suitable braided hoses that will work with the 312s and also to convert the rear to a mk4 caliper.

Also with having to source new calipers now necessary is it worth finding an R32 front assembly for the bigger again discs with calipers and carriers?

• 4 weeks later...

just adding I sourced my braided hoses from C+R enterprises in the uk with the appropriate ends You can also specify kits with stainless ends instead of the normal and change the rear fittings if needed if your upgrading to mk4 rear calipers as well :) Only negative is if your reusing the standard 288 calipers with bigger carriers on the front you have to reuse the 288 banjos as the thread is different to a 312 calipers banjo but they still work with the goodrich hoses

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I bought skoda octavia VRS calipers for mine with 6mm spacers and 6mm longer bolts and didnt need to change any hoses they fit straight in realistically as said before you only need the carriers and 6mm spacer's or 6mm washers to uprgrade from 288-312mm pads are the same size but the braking force is increased because of the size of the disc.