VR6 Owners - please help

Hello All,

My first post, as am sure a few of you will probably have guessed. I'm on the verge of buying a 97 MK III Golf VR6 off a friend of a friend. It's black and looks in pretty good condition with 80K on the clock. He's looking around £3000 for it which apparently is about the going rate.

Never owned a VR6 before and the closest I would have driven to it was a MK III 2.0 16V GTi Golf which I was impressed with. Basically I am just wondering what am I letting myself in for (good points / bad points). I have heard and read they can be quite thirsty and coming from driving a d*e**l (I think I might offend a few people in here if I mention the "D" word) car I am being led to believe that I will be in for a shock in terms of fuel consumption.

As well as that is there much of a demand for these types of cars i.e. would the car sell easy again. The car itself is standard with no modifications...

Any help/advice is much appreciated.

Thanks

Cica

Welcome mate,

It'll be an entertaining choice.

Expect a good 5-10 MPG less then the valver, and maybe down to half that of your *****!

But you will be very impressed. I like my valver, 160BHP as of last W/E, but the 20or so extra horses and 25% increase in torque you get in a VR will take your breath away, And the noise :-D

TG

Hey TheGoth' date='

So would that be approximately 28-32 MPG for a VR6?

Thanks

[/quote']

28-32 is about the best u will get cruising on a motorway a-road etc.... around town 23 is about right, you wont be looking at below 20 unless u thrash the car everywhere and do short journeys in cold weather

Hmm - Yeah I think these figures are just about tying up then. But obviously it all depends on where you are driving like Karr-Man posted earlier - in and around town or on the motorway will make the difference...

I'd be covering about 50 miles a day in mine going two and from work... So could possibly get 2 days commute outta £20

Yeah sorry I do trash mine, 14s in the redline most of the time and 17s been a tad more carfull. If i try i have got it to about 20 round town ect.

All depends how you drive it but if you brought a VR im guessing your not going to spend your time at 4000 rpm....

Well once bought in there is no where else to go other than play... :)

Read the guides and use the old common sense button. If you can drive more than 1 so you can see the differences.

Milage wise Motorways are in the 30mpg on a run and more like the 20-25 around town. The thing that affects this is the use of the right foot. I would expect to get less to start with as you enjoy the fun factor pedel and then as your fuel bill rises you'll start to use it a little less as lets face it the car is quite fast enough for modern traffic without stretching itself.

Only one thing left to say BUY ONE NOW!!!!!!!!!!