What does all those turbo numbers mean?

Sorry, strugle to find the time to get on here these days.

I wouldn't spend all that money on an AVCR personally.

Why not just get a TurboSmart Boost Tee to see what kind of boost you want' date=' only about £45. It's a proper gated valve and fit and forget.

My DTA has full PWM control of an amal valve to control boost (as per those Eboost and AVCR controllers) and it was just silly. I turned that off and went back to the Boost Tee. Simple is best ;-)

You don't need to touch the map. If you're using the C2 440cc software, it will be good for up to 20psi of boost.

You will need a boost gauge though.....and a wideband AFR guage not a bad idea too, or EGT!

[/quote']

Must dissagree with you Kev, the AVCR isn't about selecting what boost you want, its about acheeving it earlier and holding it acuratly for longer, by making very quick and very accurate adjustments to the wastegate via a solinoid.

Its nothing like a bleed valve.

Your DTA controler is the same as all standalone management boost control, it simply controls a valve when requested, but they just don't react anywhere near as quick or accurate enough to make an improvement.

Also, as mentioned, once connected up correctly, which is quite easy, you can have in-gear boost levels, which i guess for most will be a god send on FWD.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it possible too connect the avcr to my gearbox (or wherever you connect it) to get different boost settings in diffrent gears?

Could i do this myself or do i have to get it done professionaly. (If I have to do it professional this will cost MUCH in Norway and it wont be worth the $)

Is it possible too connect the avcr to my gearbox (or wherever you connect it) to get different boost settings in diffrent gears?

Could i do this myself or do i have to get it done professionaly. (If I have to do it professional this will cost MUCH in Norway and it wont be worth the $)

Lol, you just give it a speed signal and a rev signal and it works out the rest. Easy really.

Must dissagree with you Kev' date=' the AVCR isn't about selecting what boost you want, its about acheeving it earlier and holding it acuratly for longer, by making very quick and very accurate adjustments to the wastegate via a solinoid.[/quote']

How can you achieve boost sooner than the physical properties of the turbo will allow?

Didn't say it was. I suggested it as a cheaper alternative.

Your DTA controler is the same as all standalone management boost control' date=' it simply controls a valve when requested, but they just don't react anywhere near as quick or accurate enough to make an improvement.

[/quote']

What a load of cobblers. It has full open loop PWM control of a solenoid valve, or it can do it with PID factors against rpm and manifold pressure (i.e. in gear boost level). It's plenty fast enough, plenty good enough and plenty accurate enough but as I say, I prefer to use the simpler 'bleed valve' as that works as I want it to.

Does the AVCR offer traction and launch control aswell? All tied in with the boost control? And engine control? I don't think so.

Also' date=' as mentioned, once connected up correctly, which is quite easy, you can have in-gear boost levels, which i guess for most will be a god send on FWD.

[/quote']

Only if you're too lead footed to learn throttle control.

Must dissagree with you Kev' date=' the AVCR isn't about selecting what boost you want, its about acheeving it earlier and holding it acuratly for longer, by making very quick and very accurate adjustments to the wastegate via a solinoid.[/quote']

How can you achieve boost sooner than the physical properties of the turbo will allow?

Didn't say it was. I suggested it as a cheaper alternative.

Your DTA controler is the same as all standalone management boost control' date=' it simply controls a valve when requested, but they just don't react anywhere near as quick or accurate enough to make an improvement.

[/quote']

What a load of cobblers. It has full open loop PWM control of a solenoid valve, or it can do it with PID factors against rpm and manifold pressure (i.e. in gear boost level). It's plenty fast enough, plenty good enough and plenty accurate enough but as I say, I prefer to use the simpler 'bleed valve' as that works as I want it to.

Does the AVCR offer traction and launch control aswell? All tied in with the boost control? And engine control? I don't think so.

Also' date=' as mentioned, once connected up correctly, which is quite easy, you can have in-gear boost levels, which i guess for most will be a god send on FWD.

[/quote']

Only if you're too lead footed to learn throttle control.

Lol.

I think you interpreted it diferently to what i meant.

The avcr will help make you hit your selected boost sooner by holding the gate closed for longer, than using just the spring.

Obviously the dta isn't quick enough otherwise it would out perform your bleed valve by miles, which is the same reason why i (and many others) don't use it.

Its a boost controller, not a launch cotnrol module, or a full throttle gear change module or anything else.

Launch control can be percieved in the same way, whats wrong with throttle and clutch control!!!

Bottom line is, that if it can help you concentrate on other things going on, then it can't be a bad thing surely?!

I'm just trying to give this guy advise on what i know will help his setup, without the need for changing his turbo etc.

Get a boost controler of some description, imo the AVCR is the best.

Thanks for the help all of you.

With clean filter, 3" exhaust it spools much faster and is much stronger in low revs so I wont be changing the turbo, but I have heard that the avcr is suposed to keep the wastegate totally closed untill the very moment the turbo reaches the desired boost. I can hear my wastegate opening before the boost is max so I think I may buy one if i get it cheap.

LOL

I think you interpreted it diferently to what i meant.

The avcr will help make you hit your selected boost sooner by holding the gate closed for longer' date=' than using just the spring.

Obviously the dta isn't quick enough otherwise it would out perform your bleed valve by miles, which is the same reason why i (and many others) don't use it.

Its a boost controller, not a launch cotnrol module, or a full throttle gear change module or anything else.

Launch control can be percieved in the same way, whats wrong with throttle and clutch control!!!

Bottom line is, that if it can help you concentrate on other things going on, then it can't be a bad thing surely?!

I'm just trying to give this guy advise on what i know will help his setup, without the need for changing his turbo etc.

Get a boost controler of some description, imo the AVCR is the best.

[/quote']

LOL, I forgot about this.... I may have misinterpreted what you meant, which isn't difficult on forums. I can only go on what you type, there is no physical communication to go with it.

The DTA is quick enough. I'm not interested in holding the gate shut till the last minute because I'm running low boost. I am interested in holding boost though, which the DTA is good at. The DTA has the same 40mhz risc technology as the Apexi, so how can it not be fast enough? It pulses the solenoid in exactly the same way. The only thing the DTA can't do is scramble boost, but I don't need that anyway. And also, you need the software fired up, so changing boost on the fly isn't easy.

Anyway, this could go on and on and on...... but I have ordered an AVCR from the states to see what the fuss is about :-) I will be happy to admit I'm wrong if it's the best thing since sliced bread.

I wont be changing the turbo' date=' but I have heard that the avcr is suposed to keep the wastegate totally closed untill the very moment the turbo reaches the desired boost. I can hear my wastegate opening before the boost is max so I think I may buy one if i get it cheap.

[/quote']

Get it from the states mate, less than half the price of most UK sellers.

You shouldn't be able to hear wastegates open. Sure your dump pipe isn't leaking if it's an external WG?

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought the avcr in black off the bay. 450 dollars with shipping. Dont think this is to bad. HAve you installed yours kevhaywire? cant wait to see if it shaves rpms off the spool time. I had to get rid of the boost gauge that i have now anyway, (its shit) so why not?!

Just bought the avcr in black off the bay. 450 dollars with shipping. Dont think this is to bad. HAve you installed yours kevhaywire? cant wait to see if it shaves rpms off the spool time. I had to get rid of the boost gauge that i have now anyway' date=' (its shit) so why not?!

[/quote']

Not yet mate, haven't touched the car for weeks. Just been driving it. Time is scarce at the moment.

I got a black one too, with white LCD, for $375 in shipping. Apart from the Chinglish instructions, all looks good quality. Especially the solenoid. How beefy is that?

Question for C2 Motorsports..... does the 3rd leg of the Solenoid go to the turbo intake like the VAG N75, or does it vent to atmosphere? I'm just concerned about air being drawn into the intake off boost.

Im getting it tomorrow:). Cant wait. Gonna check out the solenoid then. The black one is imo MUCH better looking! Gonna hook it up next week or the weekend. . . . . . Do you have the wiring diagram for the ECU. Which wire is rpm etc. . . . . . (Is which written like that?)

Ok, so its here, I agree, the solenoid is beefy, and its suposed to make noise:). In the kit is a dampening plate so it wont make so much noise trough the chassis (if mounted on it). Some pics of the solenoid and the screen. Gonna call vw to get the wiering diagram for the ecu.. . . . . . .

1203691039_3532_FT213992_dsc01953_.jpg

Smart :-)

Cheers C2 for your answer.

I still haven't fitted it, got a couple of issues to sort first!

Yeah the solenoid certainly looks like it will make some noise!

Mine will be just boost control and not connected to the other inputs.

The rpm signal is the thin green/black wire in your Motronic loom.

After looking over the vw vr6 wiring diagram, I think im gonna try to hook it all up, but not until I get the extra courage to start tapping into my ecu. Have sorted out all the colours (i think) now I just have to try and see if they are the right ones. The feature that I think Im gonna use the most is the speed/gear dependent boost setting because i dont have an LSD diff yet.

Gonna make a step by step install if I do everything right. . . . .

After looking over the vw vr6 wiring diagram' date=' I think im gonna try to hook it all up, but not until I get the extra courage to start tapping into my ecu. Have sorted out all the colours (i think) now I just have to try and see if they are the right ones. The feature that I think Im gonna use the most is the speed/gear dependent boost setting because i dont have an LSD diff yet.

Gonna make a step by step install if I do everything right. . . . .

[/quote']

when you say vr6 wiring diagram do you mean a wiring diagram spacialy made to install the avcr into a vr6 or some vr6 wiring diagrams you have from say for e.g. ecu outputs from vw?

Its a while since we have looked at the wiring for these, but if I remember correctly, the AVCR doesnt pick up on the RPM from the RPM output of the ECU.

The speed signal needs to come from where the speedo input goes into the ECU, NOT from the sensor on the gearbox, as the signal is 'conditioned.'

I can have a dig through and get pin numbers and configs if you wish?