Hesitating between 1000 and 2000 RPM

Hi Guys. My first post and it is a plea for help! I've had my 1997 VR6 Sharan for three years and really enjoy driving it. I give quite a few people a bit of a surprise coming off a roundabout when you see in the mirror some hot shot pulling out into the the fast lane thinking I'm going to be bit slow away. I know you guys know different! Anyway, this is my problem. A couple of weeks ago I was driving back to Oxford from Milton Keynes and noticed a hesitation when accelerating. By the time I got home, it certainly wasn't firing on all 6. I asked the guy who does my servicing to have a look at it. He replaced the plugs but said it wasn't running quite right and it gave the following error messages on the ECU:

00533 Idle speed control

00515 camshaft position

I took it back as I really wasn't happy. I was then faced with a gamble of new HT leads or replacing the Camshaft sensor. Looking at various forums, I thought that replacing the sensor was the best bet. However, this has now been done -and no improvement. I'm now having the HT leads replaced to see if that fixes it. If it doesn't then I really don't know what to do. I'm sure the Idle speed issue has come up before and has been left as it did not seem to affect the performance/running. I can see that I am going to be £300 down and possibly end up having the same problem back with me. Any advice for options are greatly appreciated as I miss that acceleration-even with 5 people on board!!

The car has done nearly 128,000 but I hope there is still life left in it. As you can tell, I'm no mechanic but I do love my VR6!!

Thanks in anticipation.

Martin

Well my fears have been confirmed. No improvement after fitting new HT leads at a cost of £75 plus labour. It just isnt accelerating as it should. It seems okay in first , but after that there is a big loss in acceleration. Any further suggestions greatly appreciated.

• 2 months later...

No joy I'm afraid. I've changed: Cam Shaft Pos sensor, New Leads, new plugs, new MAF and no improvement. I've come to the conclusion it might be the Head Gasket. Pulling away in first you'd have a job spotting any difference. After that you notice the lack of acceleration. MPG says 18.5 which I reckon is about right. I was getting 25.3 ish and even saw 30 (once!). On one occasion I did dee the mayonaise residue under the oil filler cap- which is a sign of a blown gasket I believe. However I'm not losing much, if any, water???. I'm not sure what to do now. I've got some other issues (lack of brakes on first start up!!) so I'm considering my options. I really don't want to get rid.

I hope you get yours sorted.

Cheers

Sharon,

Have you had it on Vag-Com since your mechanic looked at it?

Has the coilpack been checked?

Does it do it if you are only accelerating gently or when you put your foot down at low revs or both?

Is it purely between 1,000 and 2,000 revs or is it there at other revs but just not as noticable?

Sharan, couple of things....

Mayonaise residue can be a product of blown head gasket but can also be seen when you are doing a lot of short journeys on cold mornings (product of condensation apparently).

However, the most intersting point you raise is 'lack of brakes on first start up'. The power brake circuit runs off the vacuum created in the inlet manifold of the engine. If there is a leak in the inlet manifold or the pipe connecting it to the power brake servo (or any other pipe connected ot the inlet manifold) you would get two effects:

1. No brakes at start up.

2. Reduced performance (inc judderig under acceleration) and higher fuel consumption.

In fact, I just bought a coil pack off a guy who replaced the one on his Sharan only to find that in fact he just had a split hose between his brake servo and inlet manifold.

Maybe you've heard all this before but it seems likely to me that this could be ayour problem.

..... also, could be hole in brake servo diaghram itself. Good news is that none of these things are expensive to put right (especially compared to all that you've tried already). Hope it helps.

Thanks IP for your advice. That has given me a glimmer of hope and I will get this checked out. The short journeys rings true.

Thanks for your post too Samson. In answer, yes I did get it checked after the MAF had been replaced and it was only the idle speed sensor showing in error. He did check the coil pack. That let me down about 2 years ago with similar symptoms and was replaced. I think it is at different revs. It just seems to take so long to get up to speed. It's also not so happy in fifth at 30mph when this used not to be a problem.

When the symptoms were being looked at, it was given a compression test. Apparently (?) the front and back compression reading should be close-within 10%? However there was a larger difference here. I cannot remember the readings. Would this point back to head gasket??

Talk about rubbing salt in the wounds, my wife has just picked up TWO speeding tickets for 38 in a 30 Zone within 20minutes of each other!

Thanks again guys.