Mk3 syncro prop tunnle

Where does the MK3 syncro prop run?

In the middle of the car next to the exhaust??

Does anyone know where I can get pictures of the bottem of a Mk3 syncro, Pehaps next time you go on a ramp somone could take some pics for me.

Want to put R32 4 wheel drive and gearbox into my front wheel drive mk3 golf

Thanks alot Tom

If he's using a haldex system the gearbox wont be a problem then!

It's possible to fit haldex in a mk3 but starting with a syncro would make it a lot easier... to answer the question, the prop tunnel runs down the middle and the standard syncro exhaust runs either side of it but there's room to run a bigger system down one side of it

Thanks for that binliner.

So I can't see a problem with fitting the R32 box and getting the front wheels running its taking the power to the rear thats the hard bit.

So I take it that the syncro floor pan has got a wider prop tunnle than the 2wd (where the exhaust runs?)

And the fuel tank needs to be relocated inside the car (which I happen to be doing anyway) And the spare wheel well will need to be choped out and plated to make room for the diff and rear axal ect

Also could I carry on using the same topmount turrets that mine uses (at the back) or does the syncro/ R32/ 4 motion have a different surpension set up at the rear.

Does the syncro have a different fire wall/ rear subframe (where the stearing rack mounts???) does the prop go above or below the subframe?

I saw a pictue of the rear axal assembly the other day from a 4 motion (on hear posted by eat this but can't find it now) Can the swinging mounting point of the wishbones be bolted on in the same place that the rear axal mounts are on my beam axal, they look at a different angle but the same kind of disstance and location, just a case of drill/ tappin/ reinforing ect?

What im thinking is that if the surpension can use the same turrets, Axal can use the same bit of chassie that my rear beam is mounted on. Side exit exhaust, Prop can use the Exhaust tunnel. Then all that needs to be done is to fab some mountings/ tubilar frame work to hold the diff where the spare wheel goes??

Am I thinking along the right lines or way off?

Thats the plan. Hadlex system off a 4 motion like yours. You need a syncro rear axal to modifly to fit the hadlex rear diff.

And you need to fabricate a braket to put on the 02M gearbox (4motion box) Then chop the gearbox cup off the subframe. Put the engine box in to find out where to reweld the gearbox mounting cup. Weld it on, Custom driveshafts and gear selector and cables from a 4 motion

Now ive just goto find out about the prop tunnel down the center of the car

The center tunnel is no different to the fwd tunnel, its the boot floor which is different. The prop runs through where the exhaust normally would be, with the exhaust underneath, with a heatshield in between. The prop is 2 piece btw.

Also the whole rear beam, fuel tank and suspension is of course different.