VR6 no power, stalling, please help

The car idles like crap, sometimes cutting out, and it just seems to misfire when driving, sometimes its ok, other times its not. Theres a strong smell of fuel outside, and i've replaced coil pack, leads, plugs, and have put another ar mass sensor on. VAG-COM shows fault code:

0553 - Mass airflow sensor - Short or open circuit intermittent (31-10)

This keeps reappearing a few seconds after clearing the code.

Any ideas?

I'm desperate to get this working, the car will just end up being scrapped if not fixed as it's cost me too much money lately, and i dont really want to do that.

Seems to be working a bit better now, not as lumpy, just needed a drive for some reason which is a bit odd. Anyway, it's still a bit hesitant at times but not as bad, shouldn't be too much of a problem, although I was wondering if my throttle body needs realigning as vag-com shows the throttle percentage as 82.5% when the pedal is fully depressed, which is not right, correct? The car is obd2 and I had the battery disconnected, it sometimes idles at 600rpm but smooth. Does it sound like it needs a reset?

Thanks for the help guys.

We had similar symptoms when the throttle position sensor went.

Runs like crap and seems to misfire etc...? If it's the TPS then if you put your foot flat on the throttle it'll clear as it at full throttle I believe it ignores the TPS anyway :)

Try unplugging the TPS - this makes it default to 100% throttle on the sensor and makes the car run reasonably normally.

We ran without a throttle position sensor for some time and the car was fine :)

Worth a try.