you said windows have stopped on one side have both windows on that side stopped if so i doubt its down to a motor i would be double checking the wiring that goes in the rubber strips between the door post and doors because they are real common for snapping where the doors are frequently open and shut.

• 3 months later...

I had same problem.......drivers side not working but passenger side ok. Check fuse 1st, its same fuse that controls elec mirrors , reverse lights & air con. Switch next..., u shud be able to hear a relay click from door as u toggle the switch, if yes then u obv have power to switch and relay, if not swap passenger door switch and link up to see if switch is prob. As mentioned above u can pull rubber door grommet out to inspect wire condition as prone to splitting and thus earthing/shorting. I did all of above without sucess until i removed door skin (1/2 hr job with Haynes manual), unplugged all connectors to motor regulator, sprayed silicone cleaner into them all and refitted them and...voila!!!! sucess due to dodgy connector, prob caused by constant banging of door when opening/closing! saved myself the £200 (inc vat) quoted by vw stealers to supply & fit new motor. Worth a try b4 dipping deep into pockets.