Right, finally after owning the VR6 (Kreg) for 6 months i've got round to trying to get it running...

Its got fuel, its got air, but theres no spark. Distributor looks to be newish, so its probably the coil right?

Has anyone got any idea on how to test the coil? do i just need to get one from the breakers and substitute it or is the there a voltage i should be looking for somewhere?

Is there anything else i should be looking at?

Thanks for your help.

Dave

Take the lead that goes into the centre of the dizzy off and hold it a few mm away from an earth (unpainted and not rusty bolt or bit of metal on the engine or body) and get someone to crank the engine. If you dont get a spafk the it isnt the coil thats faulty, and if you do then it most likley will be the coil but not definatley. The coil can be checked by checking resistances with a multimeter but i dont know what its ment to be.

Ok i've done that, no spark. I'm gonna go get one from the scrappy and swap it. Also i'ce noticed two wires that aren't connected running along the top of the engine and coming out to somewhere around the air filter side of the engine bay. One is brown (Earth?) and the other is black and yellow. Any ideas?

If there aren't any VR6's in scrappy what other cars have the same coil? i know it was a widely used engine.

thanks

It has got an alarm on it, but it had two wires cut and joined together. can't off the top of my head remember the colours. I would have thought that an immobilizer would stop it from turning over though? I'm tracking down a new coil as we speak, but at 75 of her majesties finest pounds i'm cringing at the thought of buying a new one.