Engine saga :s

So she goes into VW yesterday for a regular service, all done. Gets my invoice say fully synthetic. Ring them today, nah its def semi we put in and not fully synth, we will refund u the difference cos weve invoiced u wrong. Slightly annoying but hey ho.

Driving back from a meet tnight and pootling along coming home and a car is trying to get on the dual, I can see my mate hooning up the ooutside lane so end up swerving around car a and car b almost takes me out. My mate puts full beams on at me, rather annoyed to say the least and BOOM! Big clouds of smoke pouring out my car. :( Pull into sercies literally 100 metres away smoke coming out the back, underneath and out the bonnet. Pop the bonnet and coolant EVERYWHERE> Ive bust the hose out the back of the head :(

So now Im thinking VW lied to me an it was running fully synth, enigne got too hot and blew a hose. Could this happen>? They managed to patch me up to get home.

Now tmora Ive got to ring VW (or go up there) and explain my situation and they will prob fob me off saying it has nuffin to do with the work they have done. Best poart is the hose will prob cost me £60 odd quid and ill have to get her compression checked aswell as I dont kno how quikly the fluid came out and if thers damage. Do u think I have a case?

Quantum Synta Silver semi-synth 10W-40 is definitely the correct oil for a VR6. It is well cheeky that they charged you for fully synth, but there's no reason that I can think of why their fully synth (synta Gold) would cause an overheat if used.

Did the service involve anything other than an oil change? If it involved anythng to do with the coolant system or something that required coolant hoses to be disturbed then I'd say you definitely have a case.

its a very common hose to go that, one, runs from cylinder head to bulkhead yes?

usually dumps all the water onto exhaust manifold, hence the steam

shouldn't be related to the oil, but if they have disturbed the pipe it could of caused it.

had it happen to mine not long ago :(

DSC00206.jpg

hose

DSC00207.jpg

DSC00212.jpg

indeed thats the fella!

Got ehr there smooking! Took her in and they dont have the part. She has to stay overnight ubtil they can get the part in :( Free labour but I have to pay for the part. Im currently driving a mk6 polo 1.slow litre. Its not bad but Im not paying for it either.

the water commin out quickly wont damage your valves, you would have to of hydroliced the pistons for water to damage your valves,

thye should of payed up though, i dont no wat a lube service is at vw but at the place where i work all services include an inspection so they should of seen the aged/cracked split hoses then and informed you of it,

a lube service is essentially just an oil and filter change. they will have a look over the car but not a full inspection.

unfortunatley kerry, just bad timing for the hose to go then. oil would have made no difference at all...

it won't have damaged the engine as you stopped so quickly too.

at least they are sorting it out for you and you have a lovely poolo courtesy car... (aren't they great??? :-p)

no I didnt carry on driving it. I couldnt have been more than 100m away from the services so limped it in there.

It didnt go up in the slightest. Stayed at 90 altho now my oil temp and my water temp dont work. Im wondering whether the clocks get to 90 and get stuck...?

just got the call. Shes all finished. They want there courtesy car bk now. Urm its 5.30 to that aint guna happen! Can u pik the car up first thing tmora, urm no Im in Coventry! But ur car is only boked out for 2 days, its not my fault u rang at 5.30!! Total charge of £98.37 Thats taking the 40 they owe me. charged for 1 hours labour instead of 2.5! Pipe cost £23.43 and coolant was £5.02. Not happy.

It's not worth paying VW's prices for coolant hoses. They charge £50+ for just one hose and there's nothing to say another hose won't blow 6 months down the line.

Do £160 on a set of Samcos and you will never have to worry about it again. They look far nicer too.

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=918