noisy chain rattle at 2000 revs

Hi all Im new to the forum and have only just got my act together and bought a pc, so can stay in touch with the family and upload my pics and get involved. anyway time for serious issue!! I have a 97 obd2 vr6 with 65k on the clock i bought it with 59k and being my 3rd vr6 i decided as i always do to change bolt tensioner. i did this as when i bought it, it had small rattle around 2000 revs which was coming from passenger side of the engine. cant hear it when the radios on and it does not make noise throughout any of the other rev ranges only at 2000. when I fitted tensioner it went, but after recent oil service its back!! could any one please shed some light on this for me please and put me out of my misery as I love the sweet sounds of vr but being put off by this small glitch. ( just hope i dont have to replace the chain or any guides)

other wierd thing about it, is when i first start the car and auxillary pump kicks in there is no rattle but after the car has warmed up after 20 mins driving then the noise starts, but its not exaclty a tin of nails but you can hear a rattle never the less. semi sythetic with some slick 50 added.

If it was me i would probally change it all.

This is my own personnal preference of course.

I would be inclined to get a second opinion from someone.

Possibly take it to the dealers and authorise them an hours diagnostic time to look at it,just to tell u what ure problem is.

It will probally cost u about 90 quid in labour but in the long run u will know what is wrong with it.

I certainly would pay 90 quid even if it is for peace of mind. 8-|

Have the same problem with my VR6 1997 OBDII and that also has only 55k on the clock. The chains rattle at 1800-2000 revs. Have studied this problem on other forums. Seems like too high oil pressure can be the problem so that the chains can be streched. It the oil-pump is a valve that should open if the pressure is too high. That has been a problem in the VR-engine that this valve does not open so that the oilpressure increases to over 7 bar wich is the max. pressure for a cold engine. It has been seen that oil-pressure in a VR engine can be as high as 18 bar because of that stuck valve in the oil-pump and that ruins the chains. My VR doesen´t run at winter so this spring I will change the chains and all that comes with it and also the oil-pump. As far as I have been told VW has made a change to the oil-pump after they admitted there could be a problem with it - and if you buy a new one today the problem with too high pressure should be solved.