Something very dodgy going on...

Hi All

Some of you may or may not be aware that I am selling my Golf. (Its a forced sale before you ask!!).

Anyway I've had quite a few interested purchasers but they have messed me around for one reason or another.

The latest is from a guy who in his first email is already talking about how I would want payment - that's without even seeing the car!

His latest one today says:

HELLO MINA ,

HOPE YOU FINE OVER THERE , AND THANK'S FOR

GETTING BACK TO ME , I GONE THROUGH YOUR MAIL , AM

VERY GREATFUL FOR YOUR CO-OPERATION .

FOR PAYMENT IT WILL BE WELL, MORESO , A CLIENT IN

THE STATE IS OWNING ME THE SUM OF £10,200 , MORESO , I

WILL INTRUST HIM TO ISSUE OUT THE CHECK OF £10,200 TO

YOU .

SO THE REMAINNING WILL BE FOR MY SHIPPER COMPANY

WHO WILL COME FOR TEST DRIVING THE CAR AND TO SIGN

SOME NECESSARY DOCUMENT'S , MORESO , I WILL WANT US TO

BE ON AN AGREEMENT THAT YOU WILL GIVE MY SHIPPER

COMPANY THE BALANCE FOR COMING DOWN TO PICK UP THE

CAR.

I ALSO NEED YOUR NAME , ADDRESS, STATE ,COUNTRY

AND YOUR PHONE NUMBER THAT WILL BE ON THE CHECK , SO

IT CAN BE SENT TO MY CLIENT .

THE CAR IS URGENTLY NEEDED .

HOPE TO HEAR FROM SOONEST .

Now I work for a bank so I'm cautious anyway - but what the hell is this guy playing at?? ~:( &|

had the exact same e-mail when selling a set of wheels...thought it was well strange and sent a e-mail back basically saying 'you what?!'...got no reply, sent another e-mail a few days later and it bounced back saying no e-mail address exists.

ignore it.

• 1 month later...

In relation to this thread, I got an e-mail from Auto Trader warning about this scam! Looks like it is happening all over the place! %-6

SCAM WARNING TO CAR BUYERS

We've been alerted by a number of customers to a scam affecting UK car buyers. The fraud involves a bogus buyer that contacts you with a view to buy your vehicle unseen to export it abroad.

They'll send you a cheque for the asking price, plus the cost of export and you're asked to wire money back to them to cover export costs. The cheque they've sent bounces, leaving you without a car and out of pocket.

Visit our Car Crime Centre for more information on this and other motoring frauds.

golfvr6011evensmaller.jpg

[ golfvr6011evensmaller.jpg ]