Hint of Blue Smoke From exhaust - Update

Awrite

I've just bought a '97 Highline a couple of days ago, and noticed a little blue smoke coming from the exhaust when coming off the throttle (mate driving behind confirmed blue smoke). I'm new to the VR6 game so dunno much about the engine so do you guys have any ideas on what it could be? Car has done 104k.

Kenny

Smoke when coming off the throttle is almost certainly your valve stem seals and guides being a little worn out. There's no oil in water and vice versa is there? Also just check that your oil isn't over-filled. If it is, drain some out as excess oil will be picked up by the breather hoses on the top of the head, and into your inlet, which in turn will kill your CAT.

Yes. Well there are two ways of going about it.

a) Get the head off, and get the tappets, valves and springs out. Get the valve guides replaced and subsequently the oil stem seals. Then re-assemble. Could cost a LOT as the head's off, and things like head gaskets, head bolts, and skimming of the head need to be paid for if necessary.

Or

B) Find someone with an air line and a fitting that goes into your spark plug hole. Take the inlet manifold off and cams out. Take out a spark plug and pressurise the cylinders with the air line and take the valve springs out without having to take the head off. This will allow you to change the seals, but not the guides. Might last 30,000 miles before they need doing again. When I did my 8V MK2 GTI this way it cost me £5!

Awrite

Just been out for a drive and it only seems to be smoking at low revs, between 1 and 2k generally. Also it seems to have developed a slight stutter/missfire at just about 1k, could the two be related?

Kenny

I'm in the same situation at the moment,

little bit of smoke when the car is idling,

and started to misfire a few days ago

but had some lack of maintenance, so going to do an oil change and replace the plugs and leads

also bought myself a 2nd hand laptop (Dell Latitude CPx) and waiting for my OBD-cable and VAGCOM.