Im sure this has been covered before, but here goes again.

Is it possible to convert my fwd vr6 into a 4wd. I know you are going to say lots of work, but what is acrually involved? I would love the 4wd but i dont want to have to buy a syncro and drive a LHD daily.

I take it i would need a 4wd rear axel, prop shaft and then the transfer box to get the power going to the rear end. and then a whole lot of bits to make it all work.

R u bored of my car already lol?? Buy a syncro like i am and get used to driving a left hooker, you learnt to drive a RHD how hard can it be? Doin the above is just not worth the money by the time you spent thousands you cud of bought a V6 4mtoion which is better than a syncro even a RHD syncro.

In my opinion there's really not a lot of point havin 4wd if you havent got the power, supercharge it see how it goes then think about it again.

R u bored of my car already lol?? Buy a syncro like i am and get used to driving a left hooker' date=' you learnt to drive a RHD how hard can it be? Doin the above is just not worth the money by the time you spent thousands you cud of bought a V6 4mtoion which is better than a syncro even a RHD syncro.

In my opinion there's really not a lot of point havin 4wd if you havent got the power, supercharge it see how it goes then think about it again.

[/quote']

Naw im not board yet, I was just wondering how much work would be involved. Its going in for some tweeks next week. Still not got the car dropped, did you get the taxdisk ok Dan?

I would like a Shirck manfold to go with the cams but considering the cost of them, i will probablly consider SC / Turbo / NOS sooner or later.

Somthing needs to be done, got beat by a mk4 the other night from a rolling start we pulled away and stayed together up to about a ton but at that point he was pulling ahead, so i let him go. not sure if it was a vr6 4mo or a 20vt with mods.

How is the syncro coming along?

I've been using a LHD as a daily for years and it's really not a problem... hence why after selling te syncro I bought another LHD mk3!

If you really must have LHD then get a syncro and convert it because the floor is totally different to a standard mk3 and would require you to buy a syncro for parts anyway.... but as has been said unless you supercharge it or turbo it, it will be slower than a nrmal VR6 anyway!

R u bored of my car already lol?? Buy a syncro like i am and get used to driving a left hooker' date=' you learnt to drive a RHD how hard can it be? Doin the above is just not worth the money by the time you spent thousands you cud of bought a V6 4mtoion which is better than a syncro even a RHD syncro.

[/quote']

Naw im not board yet, I was just wondering how much work would be involved. Its going in for some tweeks next week. Still not got the car dropped, did you get the taxdisk ok Dan?

I would like a Shirck manfold to go with the cams but considering the cost of them, i will probablly consider SC / Turbo / NOS sooner or later.

Somthing needs to be done, got beat by a mk4 the other night from a rolling start we pulled away and stayed together up to about a ton but at that point he was pulling ahead, so i let him go. not sure if it was a vr6 4mo or a 20vt with mods.

Its not really, my mate has fried the pistons using too much NOS lol (which i knew about) and we've agreed a price for the car with the engine fixed/replaced and all running. Two options we have my m8 said he can source a second hand engine (88000 miles) which he'll pay for and have fitted or i have another choice for me to buy a virtually brand spanking new engine 2.8 VR6 (400 miles) bored out to 3ltrs with port polished head, one piece valves, forged pistons lightened con rods and crank, lightened balanced flywheel racing spec clutch, lower compression head gasket, ARP head bolts, new chains etc etc the list just goes on and on, Its a bullet proof engine made by Storm which is built and designed to take a twin charger set up. Obviosuly thats not gonna happen straight away but the Vortech which is part of the sale is going on to start off with and will be set up for about 415bhp there abouts. They used the engine once in a mk2 rallye weighing 1100kg and it done a 12.5 sec 1/4 mile (hence the 400 miles lol), in my syncro 4wd i should match or beat that. So yeah i'm nicely stuck in the middle with what to do, be skint for the rest of my life but own an unbelievable piece of machinery or take a chance with the old and abused 2.8 lump but have a life still.

Somthing needs to be done' date=' got beat by a mk4 the other night from a rolling start we pulled away and stayed together up to about a ton but at that point he was pulling ahead, so i let him go. not sure if it was a vr6 4mo or a 20vt with mods.

[/quote']

Got beaten by a mk4? Unless it was an R32 there aint anything (standard at least) that should beat your mk3. Sounds like you were pretty even with the other car anyway. You just let off the gas and stopped racing when you reached 100...which most people would anyway at that speed, and you said up to that point it was dead even. Could have been the mk 4 4motion which has virtually identical performance to a stock obd2 vr.

Converting a 2wd to 4wd would cost thousands... literally, and to change a syncro over from a lhd to rhd would not be cheap either and it would take away a lot of the "original" value of the car.

Somthing needs to be done' date=' got beat by a mk4 the other night from a rolling start we pulled away and stayed together up to about a ton but at that point he was pulling ahead, so i let him go. not sure if it was a vr6 4mo or a 20vt with mods.

[/quote']

Got beaten by a mk4? Unless it was an R32 there aint anything (standard at least) that should beat your mk3. Sounds like you were pretty even with the other car anyway. You just let off the gas and stopped racing when you reached 100...which most people would anyway at that speed, and you said up to that point it was dead even. Could have been the mk 4 4motion which has virtually identical performance to a stock obd2 vr.

Converting a 2wd to 4wd would cost thousands... literally, and to change a syncro over from a lhd to rhd would not be cheap either and it would take away a lot of the "original" value of the car.

If it kept up with you it cud of bin an R32, when i raced one driving that car it was almoist identical dont forget your engine is over 210 bhp, Matth76 is rite you will do any standard Gti!

Humm could have been but it didnt have the twin pipes or the body kit that the r23 should have, i think it was a modified mk4 4motion.

True mine isnt exactly a std mk3 i forgot to sat that at the start of the thread.

Yeah saying that my vr is running over 200bhp so his must have been slightly modified to have been pulling away at the top end, given all the power is at the top end of mine when it gets up on cam, Thinking of fitting that other intake manafold this weekend dan,

Also i am either going to paint the upper strut brace to match or pollish it up i have not decided yet. might wait till i get the manifold on and then see what it looks like,

Yeah saying that my vr is running over 200bhp so his must have been slightly modified to have been pulling away at the top end' date=' given all the power is at the top end of mine when it gets up on cam, Thinking of fitting that other intake manafold this weekend dan,

Also i am either going to paint the upper strut brace to match or pollish it up i have not decided yet. might wait till i get the manifold on and then see what it looks like,

[/quote']

I would get it polished personally too much red on mulberry wouldn't look right but thats my opinion mate, go with wat u think.