OBD2 AAA stalling when cold, then running on five?

No car would ever intentionally be made to misfire (with the exception of rev limiting)' date=' it would destroy the catalytic convertor! The clio 182 ECU is a little bit smarter than the VR6 one, but i'm pretty sure it doesn't have a cold rev limiter, the only car I can think od that does off the cuff is the new BMW M3 which sets rev limiting in stages from cold to hot.

[/quote']

I was drinking with a BMW technican last night and he says all top line BMWs have for a few years now have had the rev limiter fitted that stops you over reving before the engine is up to temperature, but hes never heard of any vehcile cutting out or running on less than all the cylinders.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what oil is your vr6 running on?

i'm now using 5w/40 with no probs, that said i haven't started it and revved the nuts off it as thats just silly, but now when i get out my car space onto the main road i can put my foot down without it stalling over 3.5krpm.

However, plugged mine back into vagcom today and have;

00553 - mass air flow senser

00525 - 02 senser.

now since i cleared the codes the other day, it had to the best of my knowledge been running faultlessly. did 200 miles yesterday and didn't miss a beat.

sooo see how cheap i can get a mass air flow senser now....

Mine does exactly the same. If i happen to thrash it when cold it cuts out and refuses to start and just spins like their is no compression.

I have learnt to just wait till it is warm i have done 40k now and learnt just let it warm up and it is fine

if you look over the back of the egine, down on the chassis under the brake fluid theres 2 multi-plugs, the white one is knock sensor and the black one is the 02 sensor, follow the wire down and it leads to a sensor on the exhaust.

just to update further, 00525 was still present this weekend, but have now fitted a new mass air flow so we shall see what happens next, idle speed is ever so slightly smoother and more consistant now though.

• 3 weeks later...

Mine had that 525 02 sensor code, I replaced the 02 sensor, still the same - decided to strip the loom apart and found some bad soldered joints onto the multi plug on the engine loom.

nofaultcodes640x480.jpg

After I do a track day, the car always runs rough on the way home, oil getting on the MAF - I just clean it with Isowhatsitcalled alcohol and it's sorted.

• 4 weeks later...

mass air flow senser and 02 codes are still present.

00553 & 00552

i've checked the wiring beteen both sensers and ecu - resistance within spec, and checked for battery voltage when cranking on both sensers, again ok.

think i'm going to sit on the fence and wait for the fault to be present at all times which will hopfully make it easier to trace.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

ended up removing the battery tray and cleaning all six of the earth leads under it also fitted a new non return valve which stopped oil getting onto the air mass meter runs smoother than a bmw now there is a guy on ebay who sells new ones for £34 called fircof1. also i can get 36 mpg on 95ron petrol too so its worth trying these fixes

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

no, still getting mass air flow senser code intermittantly. i.e. aftef a few hundred miles it will come back.

i'm thinking dry joint in the ecu, so am going to keep a closer eye on it over winter as in theory with expected colder temps will make the joints contract which maybe the cause of the fault code?

• 1 year later...

Ive had this problem on a few galaxy's and golfs

The coil pack has caused a missfire which has chucked unburnt fuel into to exhaust and in turn ruined the lambda sensor which has then caused the ECU to overfuel the enginge and annhilated the Cat!!!

the best way to test for this (and cheapest it will be noisy) is remove the exhaust and disconnect the lambda sensor and see how it drives when cold ive changed loads on the galaxy and golf where the cat has broke up and caused problems!!