[poll] Should i sell the VR??? (plz read post b4 polling "no" :P )

Hey folks, Got a "problem", since getting my new job i now travel 60 miles a day (30 each way). At first i used the VR6 until i got myself a wee run around ( a ford Fiesta ). I sold that about a month ago because i wanted something newer, so not have got a VW polo Saloon SDI, X-Reg, which im loving (huge drop in power but very economical).

I have decided that only using the VR6 at weekends was getting a bit expensive (2xTax, 2xfuel, 2x MOT etc etc etc) so i have put the Golf off the road and will remain off until next year, probably summer time.

Should i just sell my pride and joy to save it sitting that length of time (it will get run every week or two just to keep it ticking over), or just keep it and look forward to being re-united :P next summer, when i can afford to chuck some money at it and get bodywork - scratches, car park dents etc sorted!

Thanks alot for listening. :)

[lightbox=../../e107_files/public/1184363530_3722_FT0_vr_with_alloys_006.jpg]1184363530_3722_FT0_vr_with_alloys_006_.jpg[/lightbox]

If you have the space to keep it off the road and you do not NEED the money you would get from selling it then I would most likely keep it myself ;)

If however you need the money or cannot keep it locked up in a dry place then maybe it's better to sell it on.

All in all I vote NO ! Don't sell it.

Mark.

If the car is the way you want and mechanical sound, as well as the above factors of where to keep it etc....i would say keep it. I was contemplating running two cars, but instead im getting the missis to get one! Lol. KEEP IT MATE!

I would sell your polo runabout and use your vr as the daily driver. I do about the same miles as you each day but if you keep to 65-70mph in your VR on the way to work during the week you will see petrol consumption go up to 35mpg, which is better than most 2.0 cars. Actually running your "runabout" all adds up:

- Tax, insurance, buying the car itself, and the diesel (which in this country is a fair bit more expensive than petrol - most of europe its cheaper!) plus servicing costs - all this adds up.

I voted for you to keep the VR but only if you get rid off the runabout. As robvr6 said above it will only rot if you don't use it and wont do the engine any good at all. I have a bit of fun with my VR at the weekend but drive it conservatively during the week on the way to work. I used to drive it fast (like 80mph) on the way to work but now I have cut my petrol bills by over £10-£15 a week - saving around £600 a year! Plus who wants to "rush" to work each day!

I considered selling my vr for a cheaper small engined car - but decided if I could cut my petrol bills like I have managed to (just by driving at 65mph-70mph), then I would keep the VR. Really couldn't be without it. Such a nice car to drive and be in. Up to you though mate. It will never be as economical to run as a 1.0 diesel.

Its not about the money for petrol really, its more to do with the miles on the VR. Its at 108k now and dont want to bung lots more on it.

Im still un-decided because as you say, its not going to do it much good sitting about only getting a wee run every week or two to keep it ticking over.

Also, the 3k from the sale could buy me a private plate and a set of wheels for my polo saloon, and still have 2k to play with....... BUT, then i know id probably miss the VR. Dilema!! :P

Well i voted you should sell it mainly for the fact that you don`t really want to have it sitting outside doing nothing or very little not very often.

You can always get another one their will still be plenty around when you decide if and when you want another.

Andy

Guest 6DOVES

Keep it....................

I've replaced my Engine twice already, has cost me a bundle however on the other hand I owe nothing on the car. You can never get back what u've put in so in my opinion keep it till the cash flow is better! I would, I did actually!!

I bought my vr6 to do miles in it - fuel cons aint that bad. It cost me 2100 quid and now has 107,000 miles on it, when I get bored of it and it's on 150,000, it's worth sod all, so I've lost 2k... How many cars can you drive that are comfortable, fast relaible that cost you 2k for 50,000 miles?????