6 BRANCH MANIFOLD FACTS!

Hi, some people have been saying there is more bad then good when putting on a 6 branch manifold is this true? what are the actual benefits and disadvantages? also with a 6 branch manifold and a decat pipe should you expect alot more fuel consumption? or not much?

i would like all your opinions for once and for all especially from vr6 owners who already have the 6 branch manifold and decat pipe fitted.

thanks

There are some other threads on this but I'll summerise. I am sure others will comment and I hope it helps

The basic design concept of the standard mani is not bad as VW could not use the same mani as in other cars. The engineers did a good job making it fit in the available space. The manifold has its place.

you will get more power but the level of which is totally dependant upon the rest of the exhaust system/mods you are using. If you go all the way up to 2.5" all through (limit on the up & over rear axle) then you will get better fuel on a run and worse on a local. The power will better when gasses flow and worse when they dont. I know - obvious statement! But you need to balance the amount of pressure you need.

As is the way with the standard boy racer style exhausts you lose bottom end torque with the bigger pipe. The mani obviously helps the engne breathe but is it needed ???

We'll take it to an extreme if you are running charger/turbo yes it is essential to get the gasses out. if you are putting it on for sound then great as it will effect that. If you expecting an all new car then you need to think again and look at what you are expecting or trying to achieve.

You can use the mani and have a made to measure system for the same money and get great benefits!

I run a charged car with made to measure 3 box system (with high flow cat) and a Raceland 6-Branch and get a great every day drive (torque where it should be) with good fuel economy locally and motorway (subject to right foot useage).

The manifolds are good quality and the only issue you have is that you need to uprate the engine and gearbox mounts as stainless doesn't flex like mild steel. Other than that it's a painstaking job to wrap in heat wrap

I hope it helps

I have a raceland 6 branch on my mk2 vr6. I think i can't agree with what is above more.

Don't expect a new feel from it. When i had mine fitted I though it sounded a bit 'Sportier' and it feels like its moved the peak power up a few revs.. but not a huge difference by any means.

thanks. My vr6 is not heavily modified. just has a miltek exhaust system and a RamAir induction kit. Iv ordered my 6 branch and miltek decat pipe. When i fit the raceland 6 branch manifold and the decat pipe whats gains should i expect? also how diffucult is it to fit them in?

Not worth it in my experience. Very prone to shearing as stainless steel is much more brittle when hot and as said above doesn't flex like the stock exhaust mani. The stock exhaust manifold is very good. Mine made virtually no increase in bhp with only a very very slight increase in torque but you certainly can't notice it. No difference in noise. I've got a full milltek and high flow cat. The stainless 6 branch is not worth the cost mate in my opinion. If it was me I'd put the money towards some 268 cams.. (need to get a remap after fitting the cams but the cams will be worth it!!) far far more power for your dosh.

I was thinking about having the 6 branch mainfold, decat pipe, leaving the center boxs and fitting a supersprint backbox.

Does this sound like a good combitation for torgue and BHP???

Would there be any advantage in removing the small round silencer just after the cat when putting the decat in

leaving the system - mainfold, decat, big square silencer, super sprint back box???? Instead of -mainfold, decat, small round sliencer, big square silencer, supersprint back box.

Hard to exsplane what im on about. hope you understand

bit off topic but same subject

instead of fitting a 6 branch is it worth while proting the standard manifold to the gasket size as the gasket holes are slightly bigger than the manifolds,

and is it worth re welding the down pipe on the out side of the flange and grinding the well off the inside ?

OK Phat VR6

The aim to get more power and torque is to remove the things that stop the flow. So remove it all :-p

The main areas on the golf are that huge thing that looks more like a place to hide the kidnap victim and the CAT. So you can chose to have a decat 2 box system which will improve things a great deal. But the volume will increase and has been known to attract attention of the officers!

If you are serious about getting the best BHP and Torque numbers then speak to a chap and get one made to measure. Similar cost you will be surprised. Mine was £350 for a 3 box system with my 6 branch fitted and £250 for a high flow cat made for my charger set up! (with a life time G on product and installation)

Most chaps on here seem to run with a 2 box solution and keep the CAT. So to all those chaps. How is it for you???

The manifold is a straight swap it is just a pig to get to because of its location. you will need to remove the heat shield as theere is no mount and remember to replace gaskets and bolts/nuts as you go.

I hope that helps a little