Hi all.

Thought I would post up some pics of what happened to me last year in my highline (it was immaculate, and cost me £5500 9months before the accident). I'm not sure if it's a car that anyone on here has owned before, as when I first joined up someone pm'd me to say that it's been seen before in this club.

DSCF1598.jpg

DSCF1515.jpg

I was sat in traffic on a sliproad on my way to work, when I looked in the rear view mirror to see a Vauxhall Combi van coming towards me pushing 70mph. The results can be seen in the pictures......

IMG_0645.jpg

IMG_0618.jpg

IMG_0639.jpg

IMG_0619.jpg

IMG_0623.jpg

IMG_0624.jpg

IMG_0626.jpg

IMG_0630.jpg

IMG_0631.jpg

IMG_0622.jpg

IMG_0621.jpg

Don't know how the window has 'bent' without breaking.....

IMG_0620.jpg

Drivers door won't close, as the chassis is twisted.....

IMG_0632.jpg

Rear seats ended up hitting the fronts, along with my sub, etc. - if you look at the pins, they have totally bent the seat frames.....

IMG_0644.jpg

IMG_0642.jpg

My drivers seat sort of 'snapped' backwards on the ratchet, and the middle of the seat back broke. I managed to get out of the car, but I was in agony with my neck. I had to lie on the floor and wait for the ambulance. They came, and put me in a neck brace and took me to A&E. I had quite a few x-rays, but they all turned out OK.

The driver of the van ended up losing his job (it was a company van), and also being fined £250 with 4 penalty points for driving without due care and attention (there were no skid marks). Nowhere near enough punishment if you ask me.

So as it stands at the moment, I have bought the car back, and still have everything as it was after the accident. I've bought a cloth VR6 interior and have transferred all the leather and heater elements over so that I can sell them as a good set of seats, and I've also bought a mint (underneath) mk2 shell (not the one in the photos) and it's going to get the full works. Depending on what compensation I get, it might even get turbo'd, which is something I've always dreamed of doing to a VR6.

I've also bought a replacement - a 5door 'N' plate VR6 runaround to use daily for work and back. I missed the VR6 roar too much! 8o|

Matt

Mod Edit To Resize Pics

Moderator edit by: TheGoth

Cheers guys. I was a bit stiff for a couple of weeks, but nothing serious!

The car has literally just sat on my drive since last September. Last week I managed to crowbar the tailgate open - that took almost an hour!

The strut brace was on the car when I got it. It looks like a Trimsport one that I once had on a mk2 as far as I can tell. It might be for sale soon though - when I have worked out what I am doing. It's also got a Stroeve(?) front one as well - keep an eye on the classifieds!

Binliner - who is Mike Tonge? His name is all over the service history (he spent A LOT of money on this car!), and I'm sure I saw him in PVW a few months back in an interview. I've always wondered who he is!

Cheers.

Matt.

Cheers Goth - I had no idea how to resize them!

Cheers everyone - the engine and running gear will live on! That's the best bit about it - it's ended up being a free VR6 donor car now I've had the payout for the car. :)

Matt

Was a lovely motor before the crash, I had a good look around it when Mike owned it at one of our rolling road days about 3 years ago. Think Mike has had a number of features, including a low MK2 (hence the same theme with the VR plate) IIRC.

Glad you came out ok from the crash. You planning on putting the engine in a MK2 then?

Definitely looks like a Trimsport rear brace, got one in mine. No longer made by Trimsport I believe and they are a perfect fit and fitment is easy. Rare to find now IIRC. ;-)

Nasty looking impact and a shame to see such a nice car destoryed :(

More needs to be done to stop these idiots from driving ! Not even any skidmarks show he was obviously doing something else other than looking at the damn road.

Mark.

Cheers guys.

The engine and all running gear are going on to a mk2. I've had a full payout on the car, so that's paid the loan off, and I'm waiting for the injury compensation coming through to help pay for the mk2 swap, and hopefully I'll get enough for some new pistons and rods and other nice bits and bobs so I can turbo it. My insurance company told me I should get quite a bit, as I was taken to hospital with full neck brace on a stretcher for xrays. Very traumatising to be honest, so I think I deserve it.

When questioned by the traffic police, the van driver couldn't tell them what he was doing - he was lost for words. I think the air bag hurt his nose quite badly, so at least he got some pain like I did! I thought he would get banned, as the policeman at the scene said he believes that travelling at roughly 60/70 mph while not concentrating should be classed as 'dangerous driving', and that is what he put in his report. The court decided that 'driving without due care and attention' was more appropriate, which carries a much smaller fine/ penalty.

I was in town on a night out a couple of months after the accident, and saw the guy in a takeaway at about 2am. He came over to me and said "Hi - I'm the guy who smashed your car up". My mates got ready for the fight! :-d I managed to stay calm, and he seemed to be showing off in front of his mates. He was a typical young daft lad who shouldn't have a licence (I can say that now I'm getting older - 25!). He then explained how he can't believe that they are trying to send him to court for dangerous driving! I didn't say anything to that - he got the message and left quickly with his mates. (I am quite a big lad!)

Matt.

Cheers guys.

The engine and all running gear are going on to a mk2. I've had a full payout on the car' date=' so that's paid the loan off, and I'm waiting for the injury compensation coming through to help pay for the mk2 swap, and hopefully I'll get enough for some new pistons and rods and other nice bits and bobs so I can turbo it. My insurance company told me I should get quite a bit, as I was taken to hospital with full neck brace on a stretcher for xrays. Very traumatising to be honest, so I think I deserve it.

When questioned by the traffic police, the van driver couldn't tell them what he was doing - he was lost for words. I think the air bag hurt his nose quite badly, so at least he got some pain like I did! I thought he would get banned, as the policeman at the scene said he believes that travelling at roughly 60/70 mph while not concentrating should be classed as 'dangerous driving', and that is what he put in his report. The court decided that 'driving without due care and attention' was more appropriate, which carries a much smaller fine/ penalty.

I was in town on a night out a couple of months after the accident, and saw the guy in a takeaway at about 2am. He came over to me and said "Hi - I'm the guy who smashed your car up". My mates got ready for the fight! :-d I managed to stay calm, and he seemed to be showing off in front of his mates. He was a typical young daft lad who shouldn't have a licence (I can say that now I'm getting older - 25!). He then explained how he can't believe that they are trying to send him to court for dangerous driving! I didn't say anything to that - he got the message and left quickly with his mates. (I am quite a big lad!)

Matt.

[/quote']

OMG he sounds a complete tool, i reckon he deserved a good kicking tbh. he obvously doesnt really the pain you have been through, just seing the pics made me sick :(

• 3 weeks later...