WoooooHoooo Edition 30 GTI coming my way

Good news, not a V6, but my father in law has gone & bought an Edition 30 GTI :) it arrives in september so i will get to have a good play with that, from all the reports ive read its supposed? to be on a par with the new R32, even if its not its a great looking car, and just a little bit more exclusive even? hes more excited than me and he just sold his XJR jag and decided the golf was the way to go for a sensible fun car!! cant think where any influences towards a VW came from ;)

if i can get it off him one day i will bring it to a meet or show somewhere, it will be good to have a good look over a mk5 as i havnt had a chance yet!! i really like the standard golf gti in white, think it looks awesome, maybe my next car?? with fuel prices and running costs rising the prospect of being able to run an R32 as a daily driver any time soon are getting slimmer by the month

mmmmmmmmm motoring journos......some are clearly on drugs, quote "it looks like a golf cl with big wheels on" eh??? it dont to me it looks like a colour coded gti, and the proof the motoring press all speak from the "bronze hoop" quote "or go try an astra or ford" thats a bit like saying "or go try swallowing 200 paracetamols and a bottle of gin" in my book, they draw on the fact its not got too many differences to a standard gti, yeah i suppose thats fair enough it hasnt, but it is a limited model and it does have 30 bhp more, and some unique trims and seats, so i guess its just a case of choice, i personally hate the mk4 shape golf but the mk5 has grown on me, having seen some early pics of the proposed mk6 it virtually looks the same as the current golf so the "motoring experts" can again attack vw and try to promote their traditional favourites of ford and poxhall, vw has a far greater market share now than it ever has, and nearly every corner you turn theres a vw in front of you!!! old Adolf would be pleased!!!!! as for the press....well if you believe anything they say.....your local vicar is a pervert and there is london bus on the moon........mmm maybe the bit about the vicar could have some truth in it ;):)

No rich sorry cant make it, i am having to work an extra night shift because of the stooopid tour de france coming through my towns, everyones leave was canceled and no days off!!!!! all because of some drug taking cycle club ;) hope we have some crashes :) our roads are awfull so should be some :) thanks for the offer though rich i am trying to get hold of a brochure at the minute so if you see a spare one ;):)

I've got a tornado Red MK5 GTI which I love, The edition 30 looks cool - I love the exclusivity of it but I've never been a fan of black wheels - that's a minor point though as you could easily change them - should be awesome to drive. I love the MK5 but you can't beat the sound of the V6!

yeah i think its quite a neat package especially the DSG too, we shall see its coming from wolfsburg in september :) so i shall write a review when its been ragged ;) got some nice motorways and link roads near me as well as country lanes so will get a good range of surfaces :) hey toby the actual production car has got silver alloys not black, they look a bit like BBS LM`s but not quite as nice, vw ditched the black ones although i thought they looked quite mean

I think they look great, the black monza's are only on the non uk cars,the UK got the BBS (better IMO) PHM, the details for the ed30 is in the standard golf brochure - go and help yourself to one at the local dealer

:) i can never fathom the press out, they always try and shoot something down, ok so it probably has some things that could be better? but where they got "looks like a golf cl" is beyond me, surely the more understated a car is the better? unlike the hideous orange thing ford have made just to make it "stand out" and that vauxhall is ......well......awfull....speed isnt everything, without handling and a chassis to match, and especially if it dont have cult status and quality, like a vw does, i keep looking at white mk5 golfs now!!!! i want one!!! still 18k at the mo!! so not just yet

Looks good to me. The body coloured bumpers and alloys really improve it looks-wise over the standard gti. Can't believe the standard gti has plastic dull grey rear bumpers at the bottom.

Can't understand why they are charging extra for a CD changer...should be standard for any car over 22k!! Even my 10yr old vr has a sony 10cd changer (albiet a tiny bit scuffed with its age but still working perfectly).. was this standard when the vr was released ?

The edition 30 gti should have pretty similar performance to a lightly modded vr with just under 170bhp/tonne. I've personally found a standard gti slightly slower than my vr (not surprising as they are 166kg heavier with basically the same bhp). I like the front of the edition30.. the front lip suits it perfectly. I still far prefer the look of the gti to the R32. The new R32 just hasn't won me over... looks too ordinary.. I like the back of them though with the double exhausts.. the front has too much chrome/silver.