What are high-intensity number plates?

Hi

I'm thinking about replacing my number plates which are looking a bit tatty. However I know it all has to be kept legal so I'm not messing with the font or anything.

Where's the best place to get a replacement number plate? Do they come pre-drilled with holes or do they normally expect you to do it?

Is the internet a good place to get some new plates? I've found the following site: http://www.4plates.co.uk/builder.asp and on it there is an option to have "high intensity" plates. What are these and more importantly are they still legal? Anyone have any pics of what they look like or what the difference is to a normal plate.

I was thinking about going for "carbon fibre" style in the http://www.4plates.co.uk/builder.asp site which I believe is legal as I have seen quite a few cars with this, just the same as the 3D style (which I'm not as keen on). Am I right that this is legal?

On the next couple of pages on the site you can have a VW logo in the left of the number plate which looks good - but is this legal - it would fill the space where the GB EU stars logo is situated on some plates. Not sure if it's allowed to have the VW logo though - anyone know?

Thanks

Matt

Bit of a con basically, they say that as they are so reflective, when a speed camera flashes you the glare from the plates is so bright the camera cant see you reg? Strangley though these companys never have proof that it works?

well , igot pulled the other night at 0030, and i did have the pressed german number plates, got a 30quid fpn, and ive got to change my plates back to the old one's , which look pants..

intresting the copper did say that camera's woud have trouble reading them as the were pressed.????

didnt say anything about the 'd' badge , and he did say that the plate was readable perhaps more so than normal ones, but it was still illeagal..

so 30 quid later , i was on my way.. :(

lesson learned.

www.fancyplates.com has always been good to get tehm from' date=' but ebay has proved a good supplier recently... cheaper and just as good

[/quote']

Thanks for all your replies. Does anyone know if you are allowed a border (if you select "Volkswagon border" from the "border type" drop down list in the fancy plates website) as long as the font of the letters is standard UK?

Thanks