Hi,

I've got a couple of problems with my ABS that I hope you can help with :-

i) The ABS Light bulb (on the little circuit borad behind the dashboard) has blown. Can anyone point me in the right direction to get another one. Can't find one at a breakers yeard and the dealer wants 80 notes for a new one - Which is a bit steep for a LED

ii) The ABS has had an intermittend fault for some time (hence the light blowing) VAGCOM comes up with a rear right intermittent sensor issue. Sensor has been replaced and its been cleaned out down there but I still get the problem from time to time. Although if you road test it with a diag tool attached the ABS counters always show the same speed. My mechanic seems to think it might be a wiring issue from the sensor back to the ABS ECU. I'm sure i've read on these forums before something about ABS Rings ? I mentioned this to him and he said if it was the rings the fault would be there all the time.

What do you guys think ? Is my mechanic right ? What do ABS rings do anyway and could it be the wiring ?

Thanks for any assistance.

Gaz

Seems to be a common problem the rear right sensor going, ive had the sensor replaced twice but this time for the MOT I replaced the ABS pump and ECU and my ABS is all sorted now. I think the connection with the ECU must get fragile after a while on a particular pin or something to cause the common rear right sensor problem.

BTW I got my pump/ECU from eBay for £2.99 ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same fault (rear right) around 2 years ago. Fitting a new abs sensor didnt resolve so I replaced the ABS pump and ECU. This sorted everything out until about 2 weeks ago. I'm now back at square one :(

I am also experiencing overheating due to the handbrake mechanism not returning properly (Is the abs problem a result of the heat issues in that area?)

I remember reading (back then) that the abs ecu is at fault and can be replaced/fixed. Does anyone know how to repair? Soldering was mentioned...

I also seem to recall that the abs ecu was also used on some volvo models!?

Steve

Im going to take apart my old ABS ECU to see if I can find out what the problem was, might be a dry joint or a broken track or something. Obviously related to a week point on the pin for the rear drivers side sensor though!

Have a look at the following links:

http://www.bba-reman.com/content.aspx?content=teves_20_fitted_to_volvo_850_and_v_w_%27s BBA Reman - Info

The Volvo 850 shares the same ABS setup as the vr6

Quote: "These suffer from control unit breakdown resulting in pump out of tolerence or wheel-speed sensor fault codes. Common applications and part numerbers listed below, but we can repair all part numbers from all vehicle manufacturers."

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Volvo-850-ABS-Controller-VW_W0QQitemZ150128427599QQihZ005QQcategoryZ10432QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem BBA Reman - Ebay listing

if you fit a new control unit does this have to be set up with VAG COM as I read somewhere you have to operate the abs in a certain order to complete the fitting correctly.

I also have a control unit fault, I thought I'd try a relay first so bought one from VAG but its totally different to any others in the fuse box area, The new relay is number 79 with 5 pins is there another location for the abs relay?