500+ BHP and the 02A gearbox.... pics

Thought this may be of interest to some.

The 02A box holds up very well to turbo power, up to a point. On big power cars its a matter of time untill something breaks, most commonly 3rd gear, but real cars break 4th ;)

The mk2 vr6t that did this runs over 500hp and is used alot. the box has lasted well and taken the abuse it was given but the inevitable eventually happened:

4th1.jpg

4th2.jpg

Still drove fine but 4th gear was missing in action....

Errant gears have been replaced, and the quest to rip out 5th is on!

Tom.

pops has it exactly right ;)

Its to do with how the power comes in. A turbo properly specced for 400ish bhp will come in early and smoothly build boost.

This car has a BIG turbo no it, capable of v high output. due to the nature of this it comes in slightly later but the bigger compressor housing makes it come in HARD and build boost very fast.

Its this wrench that breaks box's.

A well specced turbo in a 400hp vr wont give a healthy gearbox much to worry about.

Tom.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Thought this may be of interest to some.

The 02A box holds up very well to turbo power' date=' up to a point. On big power cars its a matter of time untill something breaks, most commonly 3rd gear, but real cars break 4th ;)

The mk2 vr6t that did this runs over 500hp and is used alot. the box has lasted well and taken the abuse it was given but the inevitable eventually happened:

[img']http://www.btinternet.com/~tommyw/Miscpics/4th1.jpg

4th2.jpg

Still drove fine but 4th gear was missing in action....

Errant gears have been replaced, and the quest to rip out 5th is on!

Tom.

im about to order a turbo kit from the US and the fact of popping boxes really worries me!! i went thru 5 boxes and 2 clutches in almost a year in my rs turbo!! dont want to be going through that again!! ive only had my VR about 6 months now so im still learnin about them, is the 02a the standard vr6 box? if i was to run around 300bhp and give my lead foot some exercise from time to time how long should i expect it to last?? have you had a stronger box built for yours, like some kinda quaife diff uprated bearings jobby?? do you know of any firms that have built them up in the past, n how much for roughly? i no quaife isnt cheap!! and sorry for the barrage of questions im new to this vdub business!!

• 2 months later...

pops has it exactly right ;)

Its to do with how the power comes in. A turbo properly specced for 400ish bhp will come in early and smoothly build boost.

This car has a BIG turbo no it' date=' capable of v high output. due to the nature of this it comes in slightly later but the bigger compressor housing makes it come in HARD and build boost very fast.

Its this wrench that breaks box's.

A well specced turbo in a 400hp vr wont give a healthy gearbox much to worry about.

Tom.

[/quote']

An 02a gearbox is not good good for that sort of power !

I have read about some one in the states runnig 600bhp in a vr6 and only getting 25 passes out of third gear on the strip thats 1/4 of a mile race 1/4 of a mile to slow down and 1/2 a mile to return thats 25miles out of a new third gear !

I broke mine in less than 2k miles and 1k of that was running in !

Yeah its mad' date=' It will even go to 24-25PSI now that Ive done the headgasket! I would say its close to 500HP but I will find out at the Corrado RR day at Stealth. Its insanely quick, it will spin the wheels in the wet at 100mph in 4th!

[/quote']

I had a corsa with nearly 300bhp that would spin all day long in fifth gear if it was damp !

But that aint a good thing !