Buy a VR6 Golf from ebay, take a train up to pick it up, the seller says when I'm getting off the train he'll be 5 minutes, 45 mins later he's no show and not answering the phone, another 15mins and he's on the phone to me saying he'll be 5 minutes, 20 minute later he's arriving, my gut instinct was to get the next train back home coz he was f**king me about.

A minute after he arrives the car arrives with his Mrs driving it and it looked at firstveiwing from a distance a lot better than it did on ebay. Then all the things I notice that he chose not to say on ebay or to lie about, 3 new tyres as the other 4th tyre was ok - the 4th looked like the tyres with straight groves that F1 cars race on, several dents and a nasty dent on OSF rear corner, the boot doesnt open, he said the engine mounts were all new - the gearbox rear engine mount was held together with a cable tie, he then said he had a new engine mount for that one in a bag in the boot - it wasn't it was 2 top of shock rubbers, he said the aircon needs re gassing - today when I was working on the car that I'm not farmiliar with I found the condensor was missing and 3 pipes for the aircon cut and tuck away out of sight, the aircon pump has the pipes on the back cut off - I should have noticed this when first looking at the car.

Really I should have followed my gut instinct and walked away, though with some work it will be a reasonable car which once in it's life was a real pretty car if you go by the goodies it has, I think the last owner just f**ked it up.

Dont know if I'll bother with the dents, I'll probally get it on a new engine mount and tyre remove the aircon pump and put a new shorter fan belt on and drive it as it still looks good but a little dented /knocked about in places.

I'll post some pics later when I take them.

Mark.

I have bought 5 cars from ebay in the past and over 20 motorbikes with never a problem as people I have delt with have been straight and honest, so I must have got conplacent.

Where is the best place to buy a rear engine mount.

If I remove the aircon pump, then change the fan belt for a belt for a VR6 which has no aircon will it all work ok or is it not that simple...ie do I need a different kind of tenchoner.

Some people just don't know how to look after cars. Sorry to hear your bad news. I hope you negotiated the price down mate. From what you say I wouldn't have paid more than £2k tops for it. It shouldn't have any dents/dinks in it if it's been looked after. I'd get them treated asap as rust could develop and that is more money. Vibra technics do engine mounts. Does it have a full service history?