Can anyone give me some advice, I have brought and fitted a Bilstein Streetline sports kit to me VR6 as my old suspension was well and truly had it. The new kit lowered the car by 35mm and is now the bumpiest ride in the world, in fact it goes down the road like a see saw! I have been told that it could be due to the fact that the kit came with lowered and uprated springs but was suplied with oe shocks that just are not man enough for the springs. But I have also been told that it could be the bump stops being the wrong height. Anyone got any ideas.

just had exactly this problem mate, mine was solved by chopping the bumpstops down by about 30 mm, basically you've reduced the suspension travel through lowering and now you have about an inch of travel before hitting the bumpstops so you're riding on the bumpstops every time you hit a bump. made a huge difference to mine

Andy

mmm Interesting, I have had Koni's shocks and Eibach springs fitted which have lowered the car by 30mm aprox, have some times felt that I was riding on the Bump stops, have also been told by VW that the bump stops were breaking up, this could be the reason.

I cut 30 to 40 mm off of mine, the front ones I did without even taking the wheel of, just jacked it up, slid the shock absorber gaitor up and trimmed the lowest section of the bumpstop off through the spring. On the rears its a bit more tricky as one end of the bumpstop holds the dust cover on, so you can't lose that end. The other end is a large diameter 'thing'! I took the middle section out and glued the bumpstop back together, works fine...

i just found out something today....bilsteins have integrated bumps stops, or at least the sprintline kit does, so you don't need any!!!

read the instrutions to confirm. there is a poosibility yours don't as they're the lower kit. also, i found this out from a kit fitted to a nova, so some cars may be different...but it'll say in the instructions.

Which means I have no chance of sorting it out then i guess. cos if the kit has intergrated bump stops i cant cut them down, or does it mean that I have to sets of bump stops (the one intergrated into the shocks and the standard ones on the car) I am very confused guys!

Yes you have in effect two sets of bumpstops,

The stock external VW ones (which are giving you the headache) and the ones integrated into the shock body - these are to stop the shock piston bottoming out and spliting the shock casing - most decent shocks have these.

You could in effect remove the external ones completely but i wouldnt recommend it - this will put more load on the internal ones and also the limit of travel when reached will be very harsh as the internal bumpstops arent progressive as the soft external ones.

Just remove an inch from the stock ones as others have said...

Pete.