Daily driver

Guest neil20vt

Guest neil20vt

Thinking of buying a late model Golf VR6, just wondering what they are like to use on a daily basis,i don't do alot of miles but what are they like on a day to day basis (maintenance etc)

Cheers Neil

Ive had mine since October, and spent about £200 on things that NEEDED replacing. Fuel economy isnt great like anyone will say, but i love mine to bits (even though its had a sh*t respray job done on it :@)

I use my VR on a daily basis. It's so smooth and a real pleasure to drive mate. You won't regret getting one. It's reliable and fast which is good. Maintenance is no different to any other car (service costs are exactly the same as any other car - only thing that costs a lot is if the timing chains need doing which is a normal maintenance issue and only needs doing around the 80-100k mile mark but only needs doing if the noises are there - sometimes never need doing - its just like a cambelt really - one of those things that needs doing) - only extra expense is tyres really but at £50-65 a wheel its still cheaper than most modern car tyres which are 17" and a lot more expensive. The vr has 15" wheels which makes it a lot cheaper to get tyres for. Petrol isn't that different compared to a 2ltr as long as you drive it "normally" i.e below 3500 revs. Over that and yes it will drink petrol. I average 32mpg and I drive it normally to work and back (no point "racing" to work!) but have fun with it at the weekend if the opportunity arises. Great car and gets a lot of respect more than I realised. Main thing is to let if fully warm up (for about 15mins) before taking the revs over 3000-3500 revs - as you have to do with any performance car to avoid engine damage. Cost of a late model in very good condition with less than 90k miles should be under £3k. Very good value car. Good luck.

I've had mine since March and apart from spending money on service items and a water pump I haven't HAD to buy anything else. Although I do have trouble with the want=need equation. They are a great car to own and drive. Like any car purchase just make sure its right, and enjoy!

ive owned mine since then end of march and i use it everyday to go to and from work, and apart from a service it hasnt cost me much at all part from things ive brought, the one thing that went was the power stering pump and rack but this was due to the pervious owner. they arent that bad on fuel unless you race round then it drinks it but thats expected really, i put around £40 in aweek or there abouts. beautiful car to drive and own i wouldnt change my car for anything :D o ye and dont forget the amazing sound of the engine :o

iv owned mine nearly a year and a half and its been trouble free, altho im a bit down on power now so i need to get it checked over. it all comes down to finding a good one, amke sure you run it till its hot on a test drive and check for noises ect. have worked out mine is costing me silly amounts in petrol but you dont buy a 2.8 for economy

you new owners!!!!!!!!!!! i've had mine FIVE years and driven it pretty much every day! still love it as much as when i first got it. they make a great everyday car - do it mate do it, you won't regret it!

I did 50,000 miles in two years in my old VR6 without any mechanical problems whatsoever. However, it was 8 years old when I bought it with only 50k on the clock and a full VW service history, 2 lady owners from new. Examples like this are difficult to find these days, but if you can get hold of one, you should enjoy many miles of trouble-free motoring.

I´ve had mine two years and its great. Drove my friends mk4 1.6 (that car is SLOW) for two weeks and the way I drive (i´m a pizza delivery boy;)) it used more petrol than the vr6. Seriously! So there u go . . . . buy the vr.