Need some feedback on engine mod ideas

Here are some of the things I want to do / have done to my bora in the near future. I would like if anyone could recommend any specific companies / parts for what I'm wanting to do.

-head port/polish

-3 angle valve job

-cam shafts

-underdrive pully

any other suggestions?

Well I can do everything except the port polish and valve job myself. I live with 2 mechanics and we have everything you could possibly need to work on cars (except a lift :( And those mods arent going to be nearly as costly or cause reliability issues on my one and only daily driver like forced induction will. When the turbo bug finally bites Im just going to get a 240sx or an xr4ti. The roomate who sold me the bora has done a sr20det swap. My other roomate is big into stealth r/t's, he's owned 3 at once. Justin has a 3000gt and a stealth r/t in the shop that he's selling also.

Besides that I'm only looking for a marginal gain in hp/tq. From those mods listed above I can expect atleast +50 hp/tq with a better fuel pump.

And those parts are gonna cost me under 2g american. Compared to 5g for a charger kit : /

Then there's always nitrous

I used to have a pair of Schrick 268 cams in my VR. Along with a BMC CDA filter, milltek exhaust and raceland 6 branch manifold and a custom remap it made a smooth, reliable 205BHP with no noticable loss of fuel economy or road manners.

Later on, I sold the cams and went supercharged. This turned out to be a very bad move which almost wrecked my engine. I wish I'd have held onto the cams now.

Likewise, head work is alway a good idea, especially if the head needs a recon anyway.

Well I can do everything except the port polish and valve job myself. I live with 2 mechanics and we have everything you could possibly need to work on cars (except a lift :( And those mods arent going to be nearly as costly or cause reliability issues on my one and only daily driver like forced induction will. When the turbo bug finally bites Im just going to get a 240sx or an xr4ti. The roomate who sold me the bora has done a sr20det swap. My other roomate is big into stealth r/t's' date=' he's owned 3 at once. Justin has a 3000gt and a stealth r/t in the shop that he's selling also.

Besides that I'm only looking for a marginal gain in hp/tq. From those mods listed above I can expect atleast +50 hp/tq with a better fuel pump.

And those parts are gonna cost me under 2g american. Compared to 5g for a charger kit : /

Then there's always nitrous

[/quote']

You are NOT gonna see +50 hk with the mods you listed. If you see 20+ bhp, you should be happy.

And why do you need a bigger fuelpump?

Ok so there is a performance shop the next state over to me that has produced the fastest/most powerful vr6's in the states. Its called schimmel performance. They have 263 cams available. Can anyone explain the difference to me between schimmel 263 cams and schrick 268 cams? What would be the benefit of one vs another? Thanks

Ok so there is a performance shop the next state over to me that has produced the fastest/most powerful vr6's in the states. Its called schimmel performance. They have 263 cams available. Can anyone explain the difference to me between schimmel 263 cams and schrick 268 cams? What would be the benefit of one vs another? Thanks

there 2 differant manufacturers that will probably use near enuff the same material (unless schimmel's are reground i dont know),

The only major (and most important) differance is the duration of the cams in this case either 263 or 268. this determines how long the valves driven by these cams stay open for. in simple terms for every revolution of the camshaft (360 degees) the teh schimmel cam will stay open for 263 degrees of one 360 degree revolution, and the shrick, 268 degrees one revolution.

ud probably be slightly better off with the 268 if you plan on keeping the engine naturaly aspirated.

Baz' date=' R32 Cams? Compared to Shrick? Really?

[/quote']

I don't know what you mean by that. Is it a question?

I've just been wondering if the R32 cams would fit a v6 and if the durations were different but I think they might be the same. I'm parting out an R32 engine at the minute.

Baz

I was researching cams and came accross a page for bmw cams. There were like 6 different sets available from 254 to 288 duration. The descriptions said that the lower cams were for street / occasional track use. And as the duration went higher the description became more for dedicated track use (higher rpms). So Im thinking that for N/A street use the 263's would probably benefit me more.

and a 2000 is a 12v isnt it?