VR6Pete's Golf Mk2 VR6 Conversion [Finished]

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ouch with the mk3 mate... Was worrying me when looking into doing Nurburgring the costs of crashing into barriers etc...   

Where would that normally reside?

At the front LOL

Glad you got it back mate' date=' hope all is well and good with the gear box and engine, though driving without a coolant system is a a bit daft!

[/quote']

I dont think 30 odd seconds of running would have done it much harm, and I did check the oil levels before hand. The exhaust manifold was only luke warm, it was literally off the truck and down the drive - wont have to start the engine again now until it's in it's new shell, as the grinder is out this weekend to cut the chassis leg off so the car can roll/steer again.

I was more concerned about the engine falling out to be honest :)

Engine looks pretty much untouched at the top. Have you checked out the underside? Sump & oil pickup all OK?

Yep, Sump is untouched, the cross member is supporting it enough for the engine. its hardly got a scratch (apart from a bit from the karusell. I'm not planning on running the engine again, will be able to have a better look when the engine is out of the car, but initially, its not looking too bad.

Yep' date=' Sump is untouched, the cross member is supporting it enough for the engine. its hardly got a scratch (apart from a bit from the karusell. I'm not planning on running the engine again, will be able to have a better look when the engine is out of the car, but initially, its not looking too bad.

[/quote']

Nice one!

So all that remains then is to get hold of a cheap mega-mileage highline and start swapping bits over. I reckon you'll have great fun doing this, and there will be plenty of opportunity to detail the engine bay at the same time!

While you're waiting for the right car to come up, how about sending your Schrick & other engine bits for a bit of mirror polishing? ;)

Yep' date=' Sump is untouched, the cross member is supporting it enough for the engine. its hardly got a scratch (apart from a bit from the karusell. I'm not planning on running the engine again, will be able to have a better look when the engine is out of the car, but initially, its not looking too bad.

[/quote']

Nice one!

So all that remains then is to get hold of a cheap mega-mileage highline and start swapping bits over. I reckon you'll have great fun doing this, and there will be plenty of opportunity to detail the engine bay at the same time!

While you're waiting for the right car to come up, how about sending your Schrick & other engine bits for a bit of mirror polishing? ;)

I could do, but money is of issue for the next couple of months while I sort my money situation out :)

I just want to get behind the wheel :D

Busy weekend so far...

The front came off rather easily!

DSC00569.JPG

nope, air-con radiator died also.

DSC00570.JPG

Out came the grinder to get that chassis leg off.

DSC00571.JPG

DSC00572.JPG

Samcos, wires etc.. off.

DSC00573.JPG

At least the Schrick still looks shiny!

DSC00575.JPG

Organization at it's best! everything has it's place.

DSC00576.JPG

Flaps!!! need a new gearbox case.

DSC00578.JPG

Now, where did this cross member attach too?? ah yes, the brick!

DSC00580.JPG

Time to bring in the engine crane.

DSC00579.JPG

DSC00581.JPG

That grinder didn't do the job too well, so out came the still saw!

DSC00582.JPG

DSC00583.JPG

Doesn't look like much progress, but the car now rolls and steers, so can wheel it out of the garage tomorrow to take the drive shafts off, then the engine is free!

DSC00584.JPG

Time for a beer i think...

Tune into tomorrow for further updates tomorrow!

Pete

Work continued today...

Damage to passenger door.

DSC00585.JPG

DSC00586.JPG

Wing off to inspect coilover, all looks good!

DSC00587.JPG

Damage to alternator pully.

DSC00589.JPG

DSC00588.JPG

Chassis leg split by bulkhead too, rear floor pans have also been pushed upwards.

DSC00590.JPG

Out pops the engine!

DSC00591.JPG

Engine / gearbox mounts too!

DSC00592.JPG

R.I.P golfie!

DSC00593.JPG

That brick is being particulary usefull so far...

DSC00594.JPG

Broken items so far...

Altenator Pully

Rear Engine Mount

Gearbox Case

Sump

Thats it for today, it is sunday afterall! Next weekend will see rest of car being stripped, and scrapped within a week or 2.

Cheers,

Pete

you have the "heart" now pete thats the main thing' date=' shame about the casing on the g/box though, maybe a good oportunity when replacing it to put an LSD in it?.... no...not to take some LSD 8-) put one in the box ;) could be the way to go if your charging it :) ....and then you can give me your schrick ;)

[/quote']

already got a quaiffe and a 3.6 final drive in that gearbox ;) was flying around the ring...

hands off my schrick lol :P