I was under the impression it would not happen either due to the size of the engine ! Thought that was the reason is was going into the passat ?

Will be quick as hell if they pull it off though ;-)

Still not keen on the looks of the car though :-(

Mark.

I remember seeing spy shots of the R36 last year, Had lambo wheels IIRC and looked absolutely amazing far better than this test mule pictured.

The engine is a basically a new larger block but still the traditional VR layout and i cant see why it was a passat only engine as the current passat range uses the same engines as the golf laidout in the same transvesrse way as the Golf whereas previous Passat engines were longitudally mounted

DSG is crap anyway . why dont they do manual only range??

DSG is pretty nifty really, the next gear you need is "pre" engaged about a millionth of a second before you need it and there is absolutely NO chance of missing the gear or changing too late as its set for optimum performance, agree its not for everyone and i personally still prefer a "do it yourself" gearbox, theres enough options on most new V dubs to suit everyone........nearly ;)

DSG is awesome, got me new GTI edition 30 2 weeks ago which I use to drive up to London every day, works like magic in crap traffic, then on the way home on Kent country roads you can really play with the revs etc..

as for the R36 it will prob be shown at Frankfurt in autumn ,then according to my mate at local dub dealer, it will go on sale in November ish with around 280 - 300 horses at £27k. It will be the new range topper for the revamped golf before the mk6 arrives in mid 2009! I think it will be the real succesor to the g60, should be the best golf yet....!

I have never used DSG but a friend bought a mk5 R32 when they were first released with DSG and fought with VW to replace or take he car dack because of the gearbox, he says when it works its amazing, but when it doesnt its downright dangerous. It would not select gears at roundabouts and then bang away it would go when it felt like it, and when pulling away from a rolling start it would drop down then just lose all drive leaving you to freewheel into sometimes dangerous situatins,

Not sure if any others on here with DSG have had that prob tho

DSG is crap anyway . why dont they do manual only range??

Clearly from someone who's never driven one' date='

[/quote']

very true point . i take back what i said then, from the sound of it DSG is pretty good , i was basing it on the other autos ive driven .

surely its not as fun as manual though??

Liam

I have never used DSG but a friend bought a mk5 R32 when they were first released with DSG and fought with VW to replace or take he car dack because of the gearbox' date=' he says when it works its amazing, but when it doesnt its downright dangerous. It would not select gears at roundabouts and then bang away it would go when it felt like it, and when pulling away from a rolling start it would drop down then just lose all drive leaving you to freewheel into sometimes dangerous situatins,

Not sure if any others on here with DSG have had that prob tho

[/quote']

I've heard similar issues with the DSG. I still remember Aston martin's absolutely dreadful version on top gear when they reviewed the db9. It broke several times or failed to work even after it was sent to the factory and supposedly fixed - and that is in a car worth more than £100k! Basically in my opinion it works in some cars but not quite properly in others. It's still not proven yet in my eyes. Brilliant when it works but not overly reliable. Personally I would prefer a manual due to this.

I assume VW rectified your friend's gear selection problem??

The way I understand it, the 3.6 wasn't fitted to the mk5 because it was too big to go in the engine bay along with the huge DSG transmission. It would fit with a manual trasmission, but they won't do it as a manual version only because the Americans wouldn't buy it.

Informed sources say that the spy shots in the original post are actually just a proposed facelift for the current R32, so let's not get too excited just yet!

The boss of VW himself said a while back he was sick of people asking when / will then R36 golf be made.. Quite simply it won't he said. It isn't feasible.. as said above the engine bay is too small for everything to fit.

I can't see why they wouldn't fit a manual only like the mk4 r32, which is very popular in the states. The latest audi RS4 comes as standard with a manual. The manual is the real driver's option. Again, this is also very popular with the states.

Manual All the way for me - If i still have my car in the next 2 years - i'll be putting an R36 with a R32 manual gearbox in the MK3. Hopefully i'll have more funds to Charge it aswell..... But i need to convert it 2 4wd and thats going to chew up 60% of my money :'(.

But 450bhp 4wd mk3 would be the bollox i think :-)

Manual All the way for me - If i still have my car in the next 2 years - i'll be putting an R36 with a R32 manual gearbox in the MK3. Hopefully i'll have more funds to Charge it aswell..... But i need to convert it 2 4wd and thats going to chew up 60% of my money :'(.

But 450bhp 4wd mk3 would be the bollox i think :-)

Just buy a VR6 Syncro and use the existing gearbox & drivetrain... I'm assuming the 3.6 fits straight onto a VR6 gearbox like the 3.2 - I don't know a lot about the new engine other than the fact it uses a totally new block with a 10.6 degree vee (rather than 15 degrees in the VR, 2.8 24v & 3.2)

i beleive the angle is diffrent because the pistons dont move in line with the conrods they are offset to allow a big enough gap at the bottom of the stroke so the conrods are a diffrnet angle (probably 15 degrees) to the 10.6 segrees of the pisttons

Well NiceVR6 - the engine is the same weight - spend over a bigger surface area, plus 50bhp more (300bhp) and because its a 3.6 the torque levels will be higher - this means it needs better brakes and suspension. Just think on the Topgear track the new R32 is 3 secs faster than the old one with only 10bhp and a better setup - so it should be alot better.